When Ambassadors go bad.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Retired US Ambassadors are turning too!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3681641.stm

After the recent savaging given to Tony Blair by a group of 52 retired diplomats, 50 US diplomats attack Bush.

Hooray!

Alas..they appear to be delusional

Quote:

"Our hope is that both political parties will take heed and listen to the voices of experienced diplomats," it said.

The administration's response will be interesting. I wonder what reasons they will find for rubbishing each and every one of their former employees?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    I think Scott's got the template for this one down pat. Something like, "Same old tired non-entities that failed to deliver successful solutions."

Which manages to ignore the stunning failure of the Iraq campaign, the fact that the Israel plan is MANIFESTLY doomed, and the undeniable fact that the US (and UK) is viewed as a dangerous, lying bunch of hypocrites.

I don't know how the Arbustrons will convince people that the diplomats are wrong, and no, the US is REALLY POPULARY. Really.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    colanderofdeathcolanderofdeath Posts: 1,261member
    Quote:

Which manages to ignore the stunning failure of the Iraq campaign

It's been poorly executed aside from perhaps the initial invasion but whether or not it is a failure cannot be assessed for perhaps a decade or more. We are only one year out. I don't have any faith that this administration will get it right but the Iraqis may just pull it off themselves eventually. We shall see.

The crazy thing is that Shrubbery endorsed Sharon's plan even before the Likud vote on it. I can't imagine why he didn't at least let the Israelis sort it out amongst themselves, the guy's own party isn't behind it, before he starts associating the US with it.

Quote:

and no, the US is REALLY POPULARY. Really.

Like, oh my god. Like, I can't believe that Tony and George got drunk at prom and George, like, totally saddamized Tony. It was so, like, hella gay! Like, no way I'm letting either one of them come to my big UN party for all the cool leaders of popular countries.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

It's been poorly executed aside from perhaps the initial invasion but whether or not it is a failure cannot be assessed for perhaps a decade or more. We are only one year out. I don't have any faith that this administration will get it right but the Iraqis may just pull it off themselves eventually. We shall see.

If we are talking years ahead, the iraqies might have pulled a lot of by themselves, even without any invasion. Saddam wasn't exactly getting younger. I tend to like the thought of people fixing their own problems. It usually has a much higher success rate. Like say, the US, did.

Quote:

The crazy thing is that Shrubbery endorsed Sharon's plan even before the Likud vote on it. I can't imagine why he didn't at least let the Israelis sort it out amongst themselves, the guy's own party isn't behind it, before he starts associating the US with it.

It was a strategy, or said more plainly, a trick. And George fell for it. Sharon is a master strategiest. Whatch him go ahead with his Gaza-pullout plan anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    The list includes the Ambassadors to Syria, Egypt and Saudi Arabia, as well as the Consul in Jerusalem.

Be interesting to see how these people can be written off. Which they will be.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Didn't we do this thread already?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

It's the sequel...

"Bad Ambassadors II"
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

No. That was British diplomats. These are American diplomats.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Oh!
  • Reply 9 of 19
    You mean "This time it's political"
  • Reply 10 of 19
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Didn't several ambassadors resign during the run-up to war?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Lead, follow or get out of the way.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

There's you basic 'smarts' . . . and this guy has a phd!?!?!?

And that's the kind of thinking that diplomats are warning us about.

I heard a spokesman from the Brookings Institute on NPR . . .he initially got on the air to talk about whatt a 'revolution' the Bush administration had created in Foriegn Relations . . . it was supposed to be sell sell sell . . .it ended up, however, coming from him on his own volition, being about how the new 'US Foriegn Relations revolution' has left us Isolated, viewed universally very negatively, and in unable to garner the needed support for our future actions without distrust and suspicion.

He came on to sell and ended up, nonstop, outlining how the supposed 'revolution' has turned into a catastrophe
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

And if the proposed strategy is completely stupid and manifestly failing, do nothing?

That's culpable behaviour in many circumstances. Just thought you'd want to know.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    hassan i sabbahhassan i sabbah Posts: 3,987member
    Lead apartheid South Africa, follow apartheid South Africa's leaders, or get out of the way and let the country's leaders carry on being a bunch o' fascist mother****ers.

Damn good advice, advice all those white South African exiles should have followed.

An ad hominem attack's too good for you.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Lead apartheid South Africa, follow apartheid South Africa's leaders, or get out of the way and let the country's leaders carry on being a bunch o' fascist mother****ers.

Damn good advice, advice all those white South African exiles should have followed.

An ad hominem attack's too good for you.

Mandela was a leader and he had followers. Too bad more people didn't get out of his way.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Mandela was a leader and he had followers. Too bad more people didn't get out of his way.

you mean like the US and Israel?

oh, and I forgot about taiwan and micronesia. Just to be fair.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Actually, is this technically totatlitarian or fascist?

I'm going for totalitarian, because we don't have any information on what happens to those that refuse to accept the pre-ordained One True Way in presupposition.

Totalitarian.