trying to decide between 15" or 17" PB

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to buy my first powerbook but I'm torn on which model.

On my dual G5 2.0, I mainly work in FCP/DVDSP, a lot of gaming + writing.

A lot of my desktop work will carry over to the laptop, such as showing clients DVD projects, so that makes a superdrive a must. Since I'd like to do mobile gaming, the new 9700 128MB BTO option is what I'm shooting for. This narrows my choice down to the new 15" or 17" PB (I don't think the 12" has the 9700 option).

The thing I'm torn with is size, portability and screen size. The size of the 15" seems ideal for my writing -- I don't need a 'portable' the size of a cafeteria tray to write the Great American Novel?. Since the 15" has a superdrive, the 9700 + the same 1.5 GHz speed, it seems like a perfect choice.

I keep going back to the 17"s screen size, though. Even though the 17" seems so horsey, the extra screen real estate is really appealing, especially for screen hogs like FCP/DVDSP. I keep going back to using this thing in bed or on the couch, and it just doesn't seem like the most comfortable portable.

Any opinions on day to day use of the 15" or 17"? No one in my mac circle of friends has the $ to buy a PB, so I haven't had the opportunity to try one out for myself.

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i know a few people with 17 inchers, and i think they'd rather have a smaller one, but they also dont do video. i say go with the 17 if you truly want a portable desktop.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    For the stuff you like to do I would say the 15'' would do, but the 17'' would be all the more lavish and useful for those heavy duty apps.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    locopanolocopano Posts: 38member
    I had a 17" 1.33GHZ (sold for 17" 1.5ghz), i find that its more comfortable to work on this machine than it is on a 15". It just feels more sturdy when sitting on your legs/laps..... because its longer. You can sit more comfortably, not having to squash your legs together to sit in an uncomfortable position.

In terms of screen real estate then 17" is obvious. Id Say it just has enough for DVDSP and FCE/FCP to fit them in comfortably.( I wouldnt go with any smaller screen size). I think also if you ask people that OWN these machines they might tell you that THEY WILL NEVER GO BACK to 15" or 12". If you have the extra $$'s spend it on the 17", BUT i can see that you have a DP G5, are you planning on selling that? cos if your replacing your desktop then the 17" wins in this catagory again.

Also the 17" mounted on a iCurve with an external mouse/kb is reall nice to use.

With the 17" i think your clients will take you very seriously (im sure they do already, But they will even more) Im sure the machine will show that you appreciate design etc (and its sounds like that what you do for a living)

Just my two cents.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    epimetheusepimetheus Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Originally posted by locopano

I had a 17" 1.33GHZ (sold for 17" 1.5ghz), i find that its more comfortable to work on this machine than it is on a 15". It just feels more sturdy when sitting on your legs/laps..... because its longer. You can sit more comfortably, not having to squash your legs together to sit in an uncomfortable position.

In terms of screen real estate then 17" is obvious. Id Say it just has enough for DVDSP and FCE/FCP to fit them in comfortably.( I wouldnt go with any smaller screen size). I think also if you ask people that OWN these machines they might tell you that THEY WILL NEVER GO BACK to 15" or 12". If you have the extra $$'s spend it on the 17", BUT i can see that you have a DP G5, are you planning on selling that? cos if your replacing your desktop then the 17" wins in this catagory again.

Also the 17" mounted on a iCurve with an external mouse/kb is reall nice to use.

With the 17" i think your clients will take you very seriously (im sure they do already, But they will even more) Im sure the machine will show that you appreciate design etc (and its sounds like that what you do for a living)

Just my two cents.

Loco, thanks for all the good points -- you mentioned some things I hadn't considered, and the 'wow' factor for the clients you mentioned can't be underestimated.

BTW, I'm definitely keeping my G5 dual 2.0 and plan to do the whole airport thing.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    I have posted this in response before. But when doing regular typing/writing, it's nice to put two pages next to each other side by side. Also, if you are ever stuck somewhere and want to watch a movie, that 17" is nice. Better than renting a stupid $10 movie at a hotel if you ever travel. My .02 cents anyway.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    What would be the best choice for someone who is going to watch regularly DVDs on the Powerbook screen? The 15" or the 17" ? (I am asking from an aspect ratio perspective)

What are the DVD aspect ratios today and how they do fit to the 15" and 17" Powerbook screens?