Opening .qcp files?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited July 2014
Is it possible? My sister e-mailed me a picture and some kind of sound file from her phone, and the sound file seems to be inside this file with a .qcp extension. I tried forcing a new extension on it but that didn't do anything productive. Am I going to need to go buy a new cell phone now, or can I get the file to play on my Mac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    There are apps for the PC that convert Qualcomm Purevoice files to .wav, but I don't know of any that work on a Mac.

QuickTime supports QCELP which, I think uses a different codec for Purevoice. couldn't hurt to change the extension and try opening it. :shrug:

Good luck!

EDIT: You can use PureVoice Player if you have OS 9 (I'm guessing it'll work in Classic too).
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    Thanks, I'll try it provided I can get the download link to work. The FTP site is taking its time about letting me in.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    Still no luck with the FTP download, but I checked the MIME settings for Quicktime and theoretically .qcp is one of the filetypes the QT plugin should recognize. I'm all up to date as far as Quicktime updates, OS updates, Security Updates, etc. Hmph.
  • Reply 4 of 5

The QCP file format is used by many cellular telephone manufacturers to provide ring tones and record voice.  In order to successfully play QCP files anywhere, converting QCP to MP3/WAV/WMA will be a recommended solution. Google search "step by step guide on how to convert QCP to MP3" to find a solution.

• Reply 5 of 5

Personally recommend a totally free QCP player - Faasoft Audio Converter which works on both Mac and Windows. As the name suggests, this program is designed to convert audio files like MP3, WAV, QCP, AAC, AC3, etc. But it also has the feature to play audio files freely. You can also use it to convert audio files like QCP to MP3, WAV, etc.