Wedding invitations

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So my fiancee and I are planning/paying for our wedding all by our lonesomes. We spent 2 hours looking through invitations yesterday and they all sucked. It was all garbage.

I will design my own. I am using IndesignCS at my lab but there is a problem, you guessed it... proper printing.

I am not interested in raised ink or anything like that, any kind of texture would be provided by the paper.

So, experienced printing types, is it better to buy a laser printer or find a print shop to run them off (100 invitations, RSVP cards & return envelopes)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Find a print shop.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    marry me!!!!!
  • Reply 3 of 22
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    buy a color laser printer. a really nice one. fit for wedding invitations.

and then you have a laser printer. and a wife.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    don't listen to the 15 year old.

Edit: remember, she doesn't know how to cover up drunken parties in her own house...

Edit II: how did that go btw?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    grover, my fiancee and I just went through the exact same thing. I designed them myself and took the illustrator file to the printer. Go talk to a print shop and let them know what you want. Our invitations came out fantastically. We were very happy with them.

IM me if you want any tips. torifile at mac dot com on AIM.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    hey, i'm 16! oh, xionja, never mind...*blush*
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

hey, i'm 16! oh, xionja, never mind...*blush*

The fact that you can't possibly remember the Bush-Dukakis presidential race disturbs me...

But then again some could say the same to me for the Carter-Reagan race and to a lesser extent the Reagan-Mondale race...
  • Reply 8 of 22
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    My wife likes the invitations from Checkerboard, Chase, Regency and Crane (the make the paper in your pocket). She's an architect and she worked at a Hallmark store so she knows what's good Maybe worth a look.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

My wife likes the invitations from Checkerboard, Chase, Regency and Crane (the make the paper in your pocket). She's an architect and she worked at a Hallmark store so she knows what's good Maybe worth a look.

Yeah but at $10 an invite, you really gotta wonder... Our invitations on 120 lb paper in color with custom envelopes (well, we made the envelopes by hand) and reply cards and postage back and forth cost about $500 for 100 invites. $5 each and much nicer and more unique than any I've seen. I wasn't easy but totally worth it.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

The fact that you can't spell "Reagan" even though you grew up with him as your president for eight years disturbs me. :/

I, unfortunately, never learned how to spell...

the post will be fixed...
  • Reply 11 of 22
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    one thing to remember is you can save some money by buying the cheapest glue possible. then hvae the soon to be ball-and-chain take care of filling out the invitations.

or just elope. its a lot easier. and not as heavy.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    colanderofdeathcolanderofdeath Posts: 1,261member
    You should have them dressed up as fake subpeonas. See cause like your wife is like a lawyer so see that would be funny. I'm not invited now am I?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    No, but your mom is invited... to my bachelor party!
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

No, but your mom is invited... to my bachelor party!

That was a little off -- better would have been: No, but I hear your mom will be popping out of the cake. or No, but your mom is the main attraction at my bachelor's party.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    slackulaslackula Posts: 262member
    Groverate: I remember your prior thread on your search for a wedding photographer. How did that eventually turn out?
  • Reply 16 of 22
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
  • Reply 17 of 22
    colanderofdeathcolanderofdeath Posts: 1,261member
    Quote:

No, but I hear your mom will be popping out of the cake. or No, but your mom is the main attraction at my bachelor's party.

Agroid AdamB is way too cheap to pay for a cake big enough to hold my moms. Plus, ColanderOfDeath's mom is so fat, she'd eat her way right out of that cake. That hoochie brush her teef wit a butta knife!

Also, I'm surprised you aren't letting Eskimo take your wedding photos. What better to celebrate the most important day of your wife's life than with over 1000 photos centered on her breasts?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    dude, yo momma is so dumb she tried to insult someone with a yo mamma joke!
  • Reply 19 of 22
    hassan i sabbahhassan i sabbah Posts: 3,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

dude, yo momma is so dumb she tried to insult someone with a yo mamma joke!

I don't get it.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    really? well, i'm using a yo momma joke to show you all how dumb yo momma jokes are, and...you really don't get it?