Coke or Pepsi?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I don't know if this thread has been covered or not. I guess I would be under don't care.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Vodka tonic.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    pepsi all the way, to be more specific, root beer, IBC, mug, barqs sucks
  • Reply 3 of 52
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    everywhere the blue&yellow...

anyway.

my hands look old

i wonder if i have drunk

too much carbonation

or whether the orange

lighting of my hovel

brings the hue of death out
  • Reply 4 of 52
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Some of my favorite Coca-Cola types:

Coca-Cola in frosty glass bottles

Ice cold Coca-Cola in a can

Fountain Coca-Cola with no ice

Warm cup of Coca-Cola from a 2 liter in summer

Cool/warm Coca-Cola in Styrofoam cup

Coca-Cola in a waxy paper cup

Coke is just always good, year round.

Makes you fat though.

One can a day, two tops, for me.

Some people drink waaaaaay to much soda. I know of a guy (roommate of a co-worker) that drinks 2 3 liters of Mountain Dew a day. Yes, he's morbidly obese.

p.s. PEPSI???? Yuck................sweet gasoline. Bleargh.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I don't drink pop.

And yes, it's pop, not soda, not soda-pop, not Coke.

Pop.

Get it right.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I don't drink pop.

And yes, it's pop, not soda, not soda-pop, not Coke.

Pop.

Get it right.

You just crossed the line...

Both Pepsi and Coke are based in the South, where the beverages are referred to as coke or more correctly soda. Pop is the sound the bubbles make, soda is a reference to the contents of the liquid ie the carbonation.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Some of my favorite Coca-Cola types:

Coca-Cola in frosty glass bottles

Ice cold Coca-Cola in a can

Fountain Coca-Cola with no ice

Warm cup of Coca-Cola from a 2 liter in summer

Cool/warm Coca-Cola in Styrofoam cup

Coca-Cola in a waxy paper cup

Coke is just always good, year round.

Makes you fat though.

One can a day, two tops, for me.

Some people drink waaaaaay to much soda. I know of a guy (roommate of a co-worker) that drinks 2 3 liters of Mountain Dew a day. Yes, he's morbidly obese.

p.s. PEPSI???? Yuck................sweet gasoline. Bleargh.

I mostly drink water. Even as a child, I was never fond of carbonated beverages. A fountain-mixed coke is delicious, however - not so carbonated. To me, a can of coke seems like nothing but carbonation. Bottle coke seems better.

Cans of Pepsi seem to have less carbonation than Coke. I don't understand why carbonation is refreshing to people. I had some raspberry iced tea at Boston Market yesterday, and it was SO delicious and refreshing. Yum. I could drink tons of it. Not too sweet, no carbonation - just right.

I like vodka tonics too. But they go down WAY too easily. Corona beer with a twist of lime. OH YUM!!!
  • Reply 8 of 52
    Cranberry juice with a touch of carbonation and some ice....that's refreshing

(Not one for hard alcohol myself...not usually. But it's fun when it happens )
  • Reply 9 of 52
    naderfannaderfan Posts: 156member
    I prefer Coke, but I'll drink either one. Like Lewis Black said, you don't storm out of a restaurant when you find out they only serve Pepsi if you like Coke. I don't know what it is exactly about it...maybe it's just what you grow up with.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Neither! ewww, yuk! And especially those "diet" sodas, many of which contain a compound that is toxic.

http://www.sweetpoison.com/
  • Reply 11 of 52
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Pepsi is way good for me most of the time, It's what I opt to get when I'm thirsting for a soda.

However, I find that Coke goes really well with food. Better than Pepsi I think, something to do with the mouth-feel.

Coke works particularly well with pizza.

If the iTunes-pepsi giveaway did anything, it got a lot more casual soda drinkers buying more soda....more pepsi.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Neither! ewww, yuk! And especially those "diet" sodas, many of which contain a compound that is toxic.

http://www.sweetpoison.com/

I laughed a bit when I read this, sorry. Aspartame is a di-peptide made of naturally occurring amino-acids found in all sorts of foods. If you eat shit-loads of it, you will get sick. But if you eat shit loads of sugar, you probably will get sick as well. I find it somewhat surprising that the website owner had enough aspartame to be toxic -- she basically would have to have been eating handfuls of it every day.

Just so you know, all compounds are toxic to varying degrees. It really is about moderation...
  • Reply 13 of 52
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

I laughed a bit when I read this, sorry. Aspartame is a di-peptide made of naturally occurring amino-acids found in all sorts of foods. If you eat shit-loads of it, you will get sick. But if you eat shit loads of sugar, you probably will get sick as well. I find it somewhat surprising that the website owner had enough aspartame to be toxic -- she basically would have to have been eating handfuls of it every day.

Just so you know, all compounds are toxic to varying degrees. It really is about moderation...

The Scientific Committee for Food (SCF) initially evaluated aspartame (L-aspartyl- L-phenylalanine methyl ester) during 1984 (SCF, 1985) and subsequently during 1988 (SCF, 1989). At its 107th meeting in June 1997, the SCF also examined the issue of an alleged connection between aspartame and increase in incidence of brain tumours in the USA (SCF, 1997).

Aspartame has also been considered by other bodies including the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA, 1980) the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA, 1984), and the UK Committee on Toxicity (COT, 1992). The toxicity data on aspartame were used by the JECFA, SCF and COT to establish an Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) of 40 mg/kg body weight/day and an ADI of 50 mg/kg bw/d was established by the FDA. An ADI of 7.5 mg/kg bw/d was also established for a minor cyclic dipeptide derivative of aspartame, a diketopiperazine (DKP), which is formed in some aqueous solutions (JECFA, 1980; SCF, 1985).

The safety issues that have been raised in the past about aspartame have included: (1) the possibility of toxicity from methanol, one of the breakdown products of aspartame; (2) elevations in plasma concentrations of phenylalanine (Phe) and aspartic acid, which could result in increased transport of these amino acids into the brain, altering the brain's neurochemical composition; (3) the possibility of neuroendocrine changes, particularly increased concentrations in the brain, synaptic ganglia and adrenal medulla of catecholamines derived from Phe and its hydroxylation product, tyrosine; and (4) a postulated link with epilepsy and brain tumours. All these areas have been addressed in the pre-1988 literature and in more recent reviews (Meldrum, 1993; Lajtha et al., 1994; Tschanz et al., 1996).

The safety of aspartame and its metabolic breakdown products (phenylalanine, aspartic acid and methanol) has been assessed in humans generally and in several subgroups, including healthy infants, children, adolescents, adults, obese individuals, diabetics, lactating women, and individuals heterozygous for the genetic disease, phenylketonuria (PKU), who have a compromised ability to metabolise the essential amino acid, Phe.

Since its approval, aspartame has undergone further investigation through clinical and laboratory research, intake studies and postmarketing surveillance of anecdotal reports of adverse health effects.

The present review updates the previous SCF opinions in the light of new reports on the consumption of aspartame in relation to the onset of brain tumours and seizures, headaches, allergies, and changes in behaviour and cognitive function. Information on the safety of aspartame was available from a variety of sources including scientific papers, conference proceedings, abstracts and magazine articles. This review focuses on papers published in the open scientific literature from 1988 to 2001 and draws on the recent extensive review by the Agence Française de Sécurité Sanitaire des Aliments (AFSSA, 2002), which covered mutagenic,

carcinogenic and neurological effects.

Take a read of this, obtained under that pesky Freedom of Information Act (thanks Ralph Nader):

http://www.dorway.com/bressler.html
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Naderfan

Like Lewis Black said, you don't storm out of a restaurant when you find out they only serve Pepsi if you like Coke.

LOL, really? I seriously have

Well, at least when there were Coke options nearby. Really shocks the counter help I always ask if they have Coke before ordering the food. No Coke, no food...

But yeah, Ice Tea, Sprite and I.B.C. Root Beer will suffice if there are no other options. Water is nice sometimes too
  • Reply 15 of 52
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Vernors when I can find it. Canada Dry too.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    About the only time I ever have pop is when I can find a good Henry Weinhard's Root Beer. That's not very often (right now I know of two places that sell it, a gas station and a middle eastern deli).

Yum

Actually, that middle eastern deli also has Henry Weinhard's creme soda. I'll have to try that sometime.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

Vernors when I can find it. Canada Dry too.

Now your talking. Although I find Canada Dry to be a poor substitute for Vernors.

Add a shot of bourbon to the mix and you have one of the only real reasons to drink the sweet water.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    buckeye...
  • Reply 19 of 52
    podmatepodmate Posts: 183member
    Hey, where is the choice for Dr. Pepper?

I guess that I will vote for Coke.

The only pepsi that I like is cherry pepsi, the rest is just nasty.

Little story: The University that I work for decided (in their infinite studpidty) to replace Coke with Pepsi in all vending machines and in the student union. You are cannot buy a Coke on campus. Well, the sales of "soft drinks" has declined by about 60% since the change. The faculty, staff and students want our Coke back. But, we have around 2 years left on the pepsi contract ; meanwhile the University will continue to loose money everyday
  • Reply 20 of 52
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    coke. pepsi has a "sweetness" to it that i don't like