Apple Wireless Mouse

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Today I got my Apple Wireless Mouse ($55) and had a chance to just look at it, because my PowerBook with built in bluetooth, has not yet arrived. Since I can not wait for my PB, I have decided to give a first impressions run down on the Wireless Mouse.

First Impressions

?It looks bigger than the USB Apple Mouse I have been using, the Apple Mouse that came with my iMac. The iMac's mouse is clear, with the white in the center, but the wireless mouse is solid white...which I never realized until I opened the box. The bigger appearance may be from its color/styling...

?I thought it was odd that Apple would have a solid white wireless mouse, especially since the first Apple computers with built in bluetooh were the PowerBooks, IIRC. I would imagine that this wirless mouse would look a lot better when in use with the iBook and iMac/eMac but not really with the Aluminum PowerBooks or G5s. There would be a pretty big contrast, similar maybe, to how the Apple Display designs contrast with the PowerMac G5's look.

?The Apple Wireless mouse is heavy, heavier than I imagined and am used to. The reason for this is probably because of the Energizer AA batteries.

?The optical slide-cover works as advertised and should do the trick to keep battery life in the thing, as long as I remember to close it up when I'm done using it.

?Overall, I would give it a B, as it is really nothing special. It will probably do the job just as well as any wireless mouse, but it doesnt really have that much flare to it. Honestly, I was expecting a better, more associated design. What I mean by that is that it is not really a good fit for the pro products. But, it is a mouse afterall, haha.

I'll have a full AluBook review and mouse review as soon as I get it! Pictures and that good stuff!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ichiban_jayichiban_jay Posts: 660member
    I have the mouse as well, but if you look closely the mouse is not a solid white color, it has a thin clear layer (about 1 mm thick). They couldn't do the hollow thing like the normal pro opticals because of the bluetooth and AA batteries.

The price is very reasonable, other bluetooth mice cost more then what you paid for it.

My only complaint is how it scratches easily...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Thanks a million, Messiahtosh.

I've been wanting to know what Apple's wireless offerings are like, but no one has given them a proper review like that. Very well done! Your efforts are much appreciated.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    The mouse is heavy because it has a very sturdy body (although if dropped, the battery lid flies off like a piece of crap). But the goal is to not drop mice anyway, so it's not a real problem.

The feel is solid, far more substantial feeling than Kensington or even Microsoft mice.

Click is a bit louder than I like.

The range, however is stunning.

I did have a Kensington optical pro mouse but the width of my iBook was enough to interfere wit the reception of the mouse! (iBooks have USB plug on the left and I use the mouse on the right and lack internal Bluetooth).

However the Apple Wireless Mouse is always incredibly rock solid as far as reception. Not that I ever need to use it this far, but I did get around 25-30 feet range with it and zero performance hit.

Battery life is a bear. Get some rechargeable and a little charger now and be done with it. Yes, Apple should make some sort of charger for these (for the Wireless Keyboard too)

For now 3rd party rechargeable will do. I went through a 6 or 8 pack on about a month or 2 prior to getting rechargeables.

There is a bit too much surface contact with that plastic ring all the way around the bottom. I'd rather it only stick out at the corners. You'll get funky buildup there but it wipes off easily enough.

Does not like grey formica or light colored wood from my experience, despite Apple's initial bragging of it working on myriad surface types.

Overall, a bit too pricy, as usual, but high quality if too basic.

The symmetry is welcomed. Even though I'm a righty, I hate those form-fitting shaped mice, they never seem to fit right, so don't bother, in my opinion.

Bottom line, I would wait for the next rev. to see if there is a better battery solution. (Hell, give me an internal but removable rechargeable and a dock cradle)