Opening OS 9 documents

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm using 10.1.3. I get very frustrated when I open an email attachment which is a pre-X document (e.g. Mac Word 2000), and instead of opening it using my Word 2000 (an OS 9 program) it opens it using Appleworks 6 (OS X version), and of course it comes up as garbage. Is this Apple's way of telling you that you should upgrade all your old OS 9 programs, or is there an option I can turn on somewhere to fix this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Highlight the file and Get Info on it. There is a "Open With" pop up where you can select Word 200. There is also an option to make all .doc files associate with Words and not AppleWorks.

Hope that help.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ralph23

I'm using 10.1.3. I get very frustrated when I open an email attachment which is a pre-X document (e.g. Mac Word 2000), and instead of opening it using my Word 2000 (an OS 9 program) it opens it using Appleworks 6 (OS X version), and of course it comes up as garbage. Is this Apple's way of telling you that you should upgrade all your old OS 9 programs, or is there an option I can turn on somewhere to fix this?

What are you talking about? Word 2000 was a version of Word for Windows. The Mac had Word 98, Word 2001, and Word v.X soon to be supplanted by Word 2004.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to Genius Bar...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ralph23ralph23 Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Highlight the file and Get Info on it. There is a "Open With" pop up where you can select Word 200. There is also an option to make all .doc files associate with Words and not AppleWorks.

Hope that help.

• Reply 5 of 5
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    for the love of god... upgrade to 10.3