My Brand New iBook Doesn't Work :(

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
To say I'm p!55ed is an understatement, a massive one actually. After a rather tough period in my personal life I decided rewarding me self with a new (but outgoing) 14" iBook. Took me brother (a PC user) with me and was looking forward to impress him. Did I manage to do that? NO

The puter actually froze 2 times during setup!! Then, when setup was finally done I got me self all the latest SW updates blaming my trouble on the OS. This didn't help and now it freezes as soon as during "Checking Hard Drives" during the startup process. I bought it with 640mb ram and I blame the extra ram, either it may not be correctly installed or it's damaged somehow. Either way, I need to visit the dealer again on Monday and bet I'll be with out this cute baby for at least a week.

I guess I'll go to my local pub now and cry on some cuties shoulder instead But I REALLY AM P!SSED

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    have you tried booting up w/o the RAM? sounds like it could be bad RAM.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Yes, it sounds like bad ram.

When my mother got her iMac she had the exact same symptoms and it was bad ram (the included ram, sadly, so it had to be taken in).

It's crappy, but it happens
  • Reply 3 of 25
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    if its brand new, won't they just give you a new one?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

if its brand new, won't they just give you a new one?

If it is bad RAM, they will simply replace it (if it was apple ram), that is what happened with my mothers iMac. It he bought the bad ram, well, he has to take it up with the people he got it from.

If it is the Ram stuck to the motherboard, then yeah, I guess they would just have to replace it.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    have you tried running the hardware test CD that came with your machine?

if it's bad ram, there's a good chance that will diagnose it.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    definitely try that before going there clueless on monday.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

I guess I'll go to my local pub now and cry on some cuties shoulder instead...

Well, ain't that just typical

kelib, old chap, please send me a private message, I need an update on your telephone numbers, since you don't call me any more

- T. I.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Never underestimate how royally a computer can be funked by bad RAM.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Hmmmm, this is strange, I did the HW test, no problems found. Actually now I get a little further. The desktop appears, including the HD but then it goes stuck. Must take it to the dealer tomorrow
  • Reply 10 of 25
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i'd bring it in for sure then. i'd still guess it's RAM.

did you run the extended test?
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

i'd bring it in for sure then. i'd still guess it's RAM.

did you run the extended test?

Yes I did and it took about 15 minutes to check the RAM, no problems founds so I'll take it to the dealer on Monday afternoon. Thanks for the help folks
  • Reply 12 of 25
    It's in for repair now. As I managed to go through the setup process I didn't get a new one on the spot Will be without it for somewhere between 5 and 12 days
  • Reply 13 of 25
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    That's a long time... especially since you just got it. If you've got 640MB in it... it's the built in 128 plus another 512MB plugged in. They could have easily taken out the additional 512 and seen if that corrected the problem (provided there wasn't a problem with the internal 128... but chances are it went through all of it's testing with the internal memory). There's no reason you should have to wait that long.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Got it back yesterday. Sweet indeed. Looks cooler than cool but this 'ivory' colour is less than practical. also, I think it's vulnerable for scratches on the outside. How nice it is to play with this cutie, I had almost forgotten the feeling of unpacking and playing with a new puter
  • Reply 15 of 25
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Got it back yesterday. Sweet indeed. Looks cooler than cool but this 'ivory' colour is less than practical. also, I think it's vulnerable for scratches on the outside. How nice it is to play with this cutie, I had almost forgotten the feeling of unpacking and playing with a new puter

Congrats

I have had many problems with my iBook and if not for AppleCare I would have had to say good bye to my iBook by now.

But since I had applecare on it I have enjoyed my little baby for these few years.

Problems = yes

Still worth it = yes

Love my iBook

Fellowship
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:

Got it back yesterday. Sweet indeed. Looks cooler than cool but this 'ivory' colour is less than practical. also, I think it's vulnerable for scratches on the outside.

Was the colour of the original iBook you had not the same then, kelib?

I agree about it having of just about the most impractical colour there is for a laptop. What was Ives/Jobs thinking? Probably high on drugs at decision time...

Yeah, the scratches issue. I don't know...

-T. I.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fellowship

But since I had applecare on it I have enjoyed my little baby for these few years.

Well at least Applecare is affordable. Yeah right...

-T. I.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Installer

Was the colour of the original iBook you had not the same then, kelib?

-T. I.

It's me first iBook. At home I have Sawtooth, iMac G4 and then an IBM ThinkPad for work related stuff.

Quote:

Originally posted by The Installer

What was Ives/Jobs thinking? Probably high on drugs at decision time...

-T. I.

I guess first impression and how things look in ads have become more important than practicality. I will be taking it to a near by warehouse for some Garage Band recordings. Better protect it with something beforehand. It's simply not a practical colour for on-the-move computer. They must have been on acid yeah But is sure looks cool 8)
  • Reply 19 of 25
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    ive never had a problem with the color or the scratching. just wrap it in some tissue, when carrying it around, ideally some foam-padded fabric. addssome shock protection too.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by G-News

ive never had a problem with the color or the scratching.

Well, this is really G news