PC2700 RAM in an iBook and other RAM questions...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

I have a new 12" 1 Ghz iBook G4 I want to max out with a 1GB module.

Can I use PC2700 RAM (as used in the 1.33 Ghz 12" PowerBook) instead of PC2100 or wouldn't it work? I thought that maybe it was backwards compatible.

Also, does anyone sell CL2 RAM anymore? All I can find is the slower CL2.5 variety. Would either of these make any difference in performance?

Finally, any brands that you would recommend? Is the stuff Transintl.com sells any good or should I pay another $100 or so for Crucial?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

I have a new 12" 1 Ghz iBook G4 I want to max out with a 1GB module.

Can I use PC2700 RAM (as used in the 1.33 Ghz 12" PowerBook) instead of PC2100 or wouldn't it work? I thought that maybe it was backwards compatible.

Yes you can. It will run at PC2100 speeds.

Quote:

Also, does anyone sell CL2 RAM anymore? All I can find is the slower CL2.5 variety. Would either of these make any difference in performance?

Don't worry about it. CL2.5 is fine and if the built-in 256 Megs of ram is CL2.5 then the CL2 ram will have to run at CL2.5 anyway.

Quote:

Finally, any brands that you would recommend? Is the stuff Transintl.com sells any good or should I pay another $100 or so for Crucial?

Thanks!

CRUCIAL!!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Seems a lot of people have been having problems with Crucial RAM in the iBook G4.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    if it acts up... send it back.