OS 10.2 on a 500MHz G3 iMac

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is there any reason why original G4 IBook installer disc's would not be compatible with an original iMac?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Are you talking about the Software Restore CDs? Use the Installation CDs instead, they should work as expected.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    When I tried to install my PowerBook's version of X on my wife's older iBook it wouldn't allow it. I had to get a full install CD to do the update. I don't know about X but often the OS 9 that would ship with new hardware had hardware specific updates that wouldn't run on older hardware.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Yeah, I was refering to the software restore discs...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    There is a reason that it's not working. It's called: buy a new copy of OS X.

Don't install multiple copies of it with one license. That's why it won't work, they don't want you to steal copies of OS X.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    DMBand, you are assuming it's a used copy. It's not. They have never been used.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

There is a reason that it's not working. It's called: buy a new copy of OS X.

Don't install multiple copies of it with one license. That's why it won't work, they don't want you to steal copies of OS X.

Yeah right.

OS X doesn't have *any* sort of copy protection. OS X isn't limited to *any* machine; it'll run on pretty much every Mac since '98. Heck, it doesn't even have a serial number in the Client version!
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Yeah right.

OS X doesn't have *any* sort of copy protection. OS X isn't limited to *any* machine; it'll run on pretty much every Mac since '98. Heck, it doesn't even have a serial number in the Client version!

You're wrong.

The restore discs that come with the purchase of a new Mac are keyed to install only on that particular model. So one would not be able to take the restore disks that came with a new iBook to install OS X on an iMac.

This is, of course, not the case for the retail versions of OS X.

• Reply 8 of 12
    ^

Ah haw...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mojo the Monkey

You're wrong.

The restore discs that come with the purchase of a new Mac are keyed to install only on that particular model.

The restore disks, for me, are *not* OS X per se; they are just a tool to install a complete system (which used to be, btw, both OS X and OS 9, *and* applications).

Any OS X install media, whether retail or bundled with computers, is *not* restricted to particular machines.

Quote:

So one would not be able to take the restore disks that came with a new iBook to install OS X on an iMac.

I realize that. However, restore disks don't install anything in the first place - they restore a state. As the iMac never had the state an iBook had in the first place, it is quite logical the restore disks won't work on them.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

... it is quite logical the restore disks won't work on them...

Seems to be quite logical, but, given that, what is the purpose of "restore disks" anyway. actually, i never got that. Perhaps i never had have to restore something?

Well ...

best
  • Reply 11 of 12
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mojo the Monkey

You're wrong.

The restore discs that come with the purchase of a new Mac are keyed to install only on that particular model. So one would not be able to take the restore disks that came with a new iBook to install OS X on an iMac.

So if I have a powerbook with tiger. Then my parents get a powerbook with panther, I can use the OS X disc to upgrade my parents powerbook? Right?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

So if I have a powerbook with tiger. Then my parents get a powerbook with panther, I can use the OS X disc to upgrade my parents powerbook? Right?

If the two powerbooks are the same model. As in, the exact same. In other words, no.