Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.missouritrailertrash.com/

Some of them look damn funny.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Ouch...

Hey wait, I think my uncle Charley live's in one those on page 3!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Is it common for people in North America to live in trailers? Here in Switzerland some people live in trailers too, but either they're Gypsy's, or they just make holidays in them. But they don't really live there permanently, in the same place.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I think what is confusing you is whether they are travel trailers or mobile homes. The site he linked to has a mix, but there are lots of people that live in mobile homes full time.

I don't live in one, but they have a definate advantage for construction costs. There are parts of the United States where the land is still quite cheap, but construction costs are still very high. I've seen that in these situations people will often buy a mobile home instead. Also in situations where there are no city utilities at all, (sewage, water, electric and gas) it is less common to build a full blown house.

Lot of retirees are living in motorhomes full time. I've personally tried this and find it very enjoyable because I enjoy "camping" in this manner for extended periods. I personally think it would be a lot smarter for people, if there are only two of them, instead of buying a home or condo. The costs are much lower per month, and also until you truly are settled in, why buy a home? Real estate has huge acquisition and selling costs, often up to $20,000 or more. Lots of people blow loads of money either renting for costs much higher, or paying for the buying and selling of multiple homes. For many of them, I think it would be wiser to own a nicer motorhome and stay in a mobile home park until they are truly decided about their career and where they want to live.

Just my 2 cents,

Nick
  • Reply 4 of 5
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Hey I wouldn't mind living in a nicely appointed Air Stream trailer. Those things are SWEET. As long as you have a means of freelance income, you can just stay somewhere for a month or so, see the sites and move on.

BTW - I think in Missouri these people depicted on the site are known as "Hoosiers". I was particularly impressed by the mobile home "on the bluff" with 21 feet of cinder blocks holding it up. Now THAT's some serious engineering!

They oughta put that on the Science Channel's "Ten Best" show when they do impressive homes.

• Reply 5 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    My favorite on that page:

"You know you live in the sticks when your City Hall is a trailer."