15GB vs. 20GB iPod. Need purchasing advice.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Which is the better deal? I want the remote but I don't need the extra 5GB. The only wild card is the dock. Is it really useful? Let me know what you guys think.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Personally, I say that if you're going for the regular iPod and not the mini, you want to get it as big as possible. Otherwise just get the mini.

The mini fits in a shirt pocket to the extent that you hardly realize it's there. That's pretty damn cool.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    Unfortunately, I am at 3.9GB of music right now. I can't buy a iPod mini which I will outgrow within the next couple of months. I don't buy a lot of music so I doubt that I will outgrow the 15GB unless Apple comes up with new creative ways to use the extra space (e.g. Home on iPod).

So my choices are still the 15GB and 20GB. The 20GB is obviously the superior unit but cost is an issue here. The cheaper the better.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Then get the 15GB and the dock. That's what I did, a month or so ago at Target.

I had no interest in the carrying case or remote and I have just under 10GB of music (with all my CDs encoded and buying, say, 2-4 songs off iTMS a month), so I went with the 15GB...a little room to grow, not get stuck with two accessories I cared nothing about and got the dock on its own.

I figured 20GB would be complete overkill and wasted space. There's no way I'm going to fill up 5GB anytime soon, since I've already got the bulk of everything I love already accounted for in that <10GB.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    So you think that the dock is important. I wanted the remote. Hmm. Maybe I should just buy the 20GB. It costs about the same as 15GB+Remote+Dock.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

So you think that the dock is important. I wanted the remote. Hmm. Maybe I should just buy the 20GB. It costs about the same as 15GB+Remote+Dock.

Get the 20 GB. The carrying case is handy.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I don't know if the dock is "important" - certainly not necessary - but I like having the iMac placed vertically (easy to see the screen) and not just lying around on its back.

I misread your post about wanting the remote and the dock being the "wild card".

Then get the 20GB, because you're right: buying the 15GB and then adding the dock and remote takes you to $380.

Spend $20 more and get 5 more GB and a case.

I don't know...you're on your own. Everyone has different needs and priorities.

• Reply 7 of 17
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I use my iPod mainly as a small stereo system in my living room. I believe you need a dock to use external speakers.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I use my iPod mainly as a small stereo system in my living room. I believe you need a dock to use external speakers.

you can just run external speakers into the headphone socket, so you don't need the dock for that.

i have the dock left sitting next to my stereo (with a v. expensive cable connecting them up!) and its useful for that purpose alone IMHO.

never really use the remote mind, so maybe get the 15 + dock?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Othello - yeah I was thinking that was possible. I guess the benefit of the dock in that situation is that it's also charging rather than draining the battery. When I bring it home, I just stick it in the dock and leave it there to recharge, and I can also use it as a stereo at the same time. You could plug both the power adaptor and the audio cable into the iPod and do the same thing, so I guess it's really just a matter of convenience.

I've got the remote, and I've never used it a single time.

Question: If the iPod is locked, can you use the remote?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    yeah u can use the remote when the ipod is locked. its really useful in the that respect, i lock and unlock my ipod everytime i want to change songs. i tried out the 20gb, but realized i didnt need the extras. the dock is basically just superficial and i think the carry case thing looks stupid, imo.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Get the 20Gig. I bought a 40Gig and inititally thought it was overkill, but now I am so glad I have the extra space. I can have my entire music collection (25 gigs or so in AAC) plus room for all of my contacts. Having the ability to use it as the occasional firewire drive when I need to grab a big file from someone is also a big bonus.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Thanks everyone. After reading these posts, I am now heavily leaning toward the 20 gig. I should be getting one soon.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Heh, if you come to a place like this for purchasing advice, you're ALWAYS going to end up spending more money.

And Apple through their price structures has this clever way of always making you want to get the next step up. If you're thinking of the lower-end iBook, iPod mini, whatever, when you look into it you always end up thinking you're getting a much better deal if you go up to the next level. It's really diabolical how they do it.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    I weighed the 15GB and 20GB, and decided to go for the 15 for a couple of reasons. First, at academic prices, it's $270 vs. $370. A hundred bucks more than 270 just feels like a bigger leap than a hundred more than 300. Second, I didn't need the dock. It doesn't add any functionality, just convenience. And I don't have a desktop setup at home to leave the Dock attached to, anyway - just an iBook that spends most of its time at home in my backpack. The remote would have been nice, but I figured I could always buy it later. So far, haven't felt the need. And I picked up a padded case for $20 that I felt would better protect the screen and buttons. The space worked out nicely, too - after ripping my entire CD collection and loading all my mp3/AAC's, I only managed to fill up 12GB.

So for me, 15GB was the right choice. Depending on what's important to you, your right choice will vary.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    I would wait in till the 4th generation. I say that because, apple might come out with a 50 Gb at $499. So they might lower the price of the 40 Gb, 20 Gb, and the 15 GB. If you want a dock but, use it as a a small boom box you can buy the altec inmotion speakers for $149. It will act like a dock and a mini boom box. Hope this helps.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Good lord 50 gigs!!!

Just add HE AAC it's the equivalent. I'd rather have a mic, HE AAC, and video out/color screen (maaaybeee...cost allowing..changed my mind on this now)

Do they both have Dock? Damn I hate that just as much as ADC. When you forget your Dock you're up shit creek and can't plug in...they should at least additionally have a regular 1394 on there.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

Unfortunately, I am at 3.9GB of music right now. I can't buy a iPod mini which I will outgrow within the next couple of months. I don't buy a lot of music so I doubt that I will outgrow the 15GB unless Apple comes up with new creative ways to use the extra space (e.g. Home on iPod).

So my choices are still the 15GB and 20GB. The 20GB is obviously the superior unit but cost is an issue here. The cheaper the better.

Well, I have about 6GB of music, and I keep about 2.5GB on my mini. If I decide that I want to listen to other stuff, I just update the playlist when I recharge.

A friend has a 40GB iPod with a ton of stuff on it. Navigation is a bitch.