Defrag OS X?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Just having gotten my new Powerbook, I'm wondering how you defrag in OS X. Can I do this w/o buying Norton? I simply don't want any Norton utilities on this computer. Do I need to defrag this computer?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Panther defrags files upto 20mb automatically.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    With MacOS X 10.3, the filesystem does a lot of defragging on the fly automatically.

Even prior to that though, fragmentation has *never* been a problem with MacOS, at least not like under Windows.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

With MacOS X 10.3, the filesystem does a lot of defragging on the fly automatically.

Even prior to that though, fragmentation has *never* been a problem with MacOS, at least not like under Windows.

If only it could auto-defragment free space...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Well, the auto defrag isnt perfect, but once a file gets allocated into fragmented space it will get auto defraged ( as long as its small enough ). Its a bit round a bout.

Panthers auto defrag certainly doesnt remove the need for a defragger, and previous versions of Mac OS have most definately needed. OS X hides fragmentation somewhat by caching files in memory. But that doesnt stand up well under load ( low memory, lots of disk accesses ).

The perenial duct tape technique for defragging is to copy your drive to another empty disk ( which defrags it, because files are copied one at a time ). The copy back if you feel the need ( eg: to get the data back off of an external drive ). OS X is a bit finicky about copy drives and keeping the bootable, so Im not sure how well it works. I back up my disk, then do a clean install and copy back again ( not very often ).
  • Reply 5 of 9
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sn1PeR

Just having gotten my new Powerbook, I'm wondering how you defrag in OS X. Can I do this w/o buying Norton? I simply don't want any Norton utilities on this computer. Do I need to defrag this computer?

if you just got your powerbook, why would already need to defrag it????
  • Reply 6 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

Panthers auto defrag certainly doesnt remove the need for a defragger, and previous versions of Mac OS have most definately needed.

Compared to Windows, it's truly an optional thing to do.

In 19 years of Mac use, I've never seen a drive over 20% fragmentation, and only a couple over 10%.

Compare and contrast with NT4, where it would hit 40% after a week's use post-defrag... *sigh* Man, that was a pain.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Easy: Every 3 months, reformat your drive and zero all data followed by a fresh clean install.

• Reply 8 of 9
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Easy: Every 3 months, reformat your drive and zero all data followed by a fresh clean install.

oh man, ... click this link
  • Reply 9 of 9
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

if you just got your powerbook, why would already need to defrag it????

well, i am officially paranoid, that doesn't mean that i am not being followed.