OS X user limitations setup and internet security

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is it possible for someone to use Safari if you are the administrator and have

set up the users account so that they cannot use any internet apps?

The reason I ask is that I set up my son's OS X account a few months ago so that he cannot access the net (turned off Safari, Sherlock and other net releated apps in the

system preferences panel). Today, I noticed that there are cache files in his account dated this morning so somehow, he got on.

Thanks in advance to all who answer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Hmm. What kind of cache files were they? What was their name?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    did you disable terminal so that he can't launch applications from the command line?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

Hmm. What kind of cache files were they? What was their name?

They were just the regular safari cache files.

I found out how he got on. He typed in an internet addres in a word document and then double clicked on it and it loaded Safari. Pretty amazing...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

did you disable terminal so that he can't launch applications from the command line?

Yes. In fact, I disabled everything except the chess game and an HP48 calculator.

Thanks for the tip.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    His "clicking on a link" in an app he's allowed to use is a way to circumvent the protection system. :/ The same thing happens with Sherlock.

You could change the permissions on Safari itself and see if that works. I just tried it and it works for me here.

sudo chmod o-r /Applications/Safari.app/

Keep in mind that this will disable Safari for any regular user. It's a crude workaround, but it works...

edit: to restore Safari just type sudo chmod o+r /Applications/Safari.app/

What the first command does (in case you're curious) is to remove the readablity of the file for "other" users ("o"). Changing the "-" to a "+" adds it back.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    arbernautarbernaut Posts: 182member
    Why not just remove the ethernet/phone leads connecting the Mac to the internet. Low-tech, but it works!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Setup a location without a router then it can't access the internet but the apps work. Without an admin login you can't add the route or change the location.

When you login as admin just click on the internet enabled location and you have access.

Dobby.