Sony announces new U series tablet

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It almost looks fake doesn't it?

http://www.jp.sonystyle.com/Style-a/...t/U/index.html

Looks like a photoshop someone would post on this forum.

They have also announced an iBook killer...

http://www.jp.sonystyle.com/Style-a/...t/S/index.html

It has the 13.3" widescreen display people wanted Apple to give the iBook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

It almost looks fake doesn't it?

That's because it is "fake". It's a 3D render of the real product, a computer company will very rarely put an actual photo of a product on their site. 99% of stuff out there is a 3D model of it, not the real thing.

That said...the page is in friggin Mandarin or something, what do you want me to do with that?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

That's because it is "fake". It's a 3D render of the real product, a computer company will very rarely put an actual photo of a product on their site. 99% of stuff out there is a 3D model of it, not the real thing.

That said...the page is in friggin Mandarin or something, what do you want me to do with that?

Babelfish! It's likely only going to be sold in Japan like the other U series. I'm more interested in the 13.3" screen of the S series making it into an iBook one day.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The "type U" palm top thingee looks like it would do well in Japan, but I can't see its use outside of "I have a gadget".

One of the pictures shows what appears to be the "full on rig" with carrying bags and a keyboard and power supply and cables. By the time you put all that together, you're carrying more than an iBook's worth of volume, plus you have to hook it all up, plus you have a tiny screen.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    For more info (and in English!) check out Dynamism.com
  • Reply 5 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    If I'm going to carry something as big as that tablet, it might as well have a keyboard built-in. What is this thing particularly good at anyway?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Whether you like 'em or not you gotta love how technology just keeps marching on...

C.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    I think this thing looks pretty impressive... the power of a cube in the space of a Newton? Yeah, their keyboard sure reminds me of this one. But this Sony kit is a fully-fledged PC with VGA out directly from its dock - sweet!

I&nbsp want one. If only it didn't run windoze...&nbsp&nbsp\

(Apple, it's your turn, my MP2K is getting old!)
  • Reply 8 of 12
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Mandarin is actually the official Chinese language variant used in the People's Republic of China and in the Republic of China on Taiwan, as well as one of four official languages in Singapore. There are more speakers of Mandarin than any other spoken tongue, but the language on that site is hardly Mandarin. Your eye was keen enough to observe that the written Chinese Hanzi characters are very similar to the Japanese Kanji, and this is probably where you became confused.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Mandarin is actually the official Chinese language variant used in the People's Republic of China and in the Republic of China on Taiwan, as well as one of four official languages in Singapore. There are more speakers of Mandarin than any other spoken tongue, but the language on that site is hardly Mandarin. Your eye was keen enough to observe that the written Chinese Hanzi characters are very similar to the Japanese Kanji, and this is probably where you became confused.

Really. . . I thought english was now the most widely spoken language. . . seriously.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Is it now? I thought it was still Mandarin. Is there any sort of agency or something that keep track of that?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    Well, at least we know the widescreen 12.1 and 13.3 is possible, so maybe Apple will jump on it next revision.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash:

Is it now? I thought it was still Mandarin. Is there any sort of agency or something that keep track of that?

Mandarin is still, by far, the most widely spoken language - about twice as many as English speaking people. English has only recently made it into the number 2 spot over Spanish and Hindustani.

Cheers,

C.