12x DVD BURNER FOR G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone know what 12X dvd burner will work on the G5 if I am running panther?

Just currious?

Also, I want to make sure it is compatible or will be with the DL DVD's

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Not sure whiche burners support DL tech, but Roxio has announced that new versions of Toast will support it.

So if the burner's hardware supports DL disks, its a pretty safe bet that toast will support the burner.

http://roxio.com/en/company/news/arc...se051104.jhtml
  • Reply 2 of 16
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The only 12x DVD burner currently available is a Plextor model, and it only burns DVD+Rs at 12x. DVD-Rs (the format that Apple supports) only burn at 8x.

If you want the best-supported DVD burner available, the Pioneer DVR-107D is the way to go. 8x DVD-R, 8x DVD+R, fully supported in 10.3.3. That is the drive that ships with eMacs (and from what I've heard, PowerMacs now too, even though they don't advertise 8x DVD burning). If you want a faster one or a newer technology (like dual-layer or blue laser), you'll have to wait.

EDIT: NewEgg has a GREAT deal on this drive. The standard drive is $114 (typical price), but right now they also have a refurbished one available for $85! If you want one right now this might be a good opportunity to jump on it. Otherwise just wait.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Ya I burnt a dvd+RW on my G5 and it seemed to work. I am unsure what you mean by the dvd-r is the only supported media from apple? Not sure what that mean's but good to know I guess. I was also looking at the LG 12x burner and wanted to know if taht one was supported on the mac especially with the toast update comming out.

I just wasent sure if I had to modify the firmware or any of that stuff on the burner. Maybe put it into my pc and update it then back into the mac who knows eh.

thanks
  • Reply 4 of 16
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dage007

Ya I burnt a dvd+RW on my G5 and it seemed to work. I am unsure what you mean by the dvd-r is the only supported media from apple? Not sure what that mean's but good to know I guess. I was also looking at the LG 12x burner and wanted to know if taht one was supported on the mac especially with the toast update comming out.

I just wasent sure if I had to modify the firmware or any of that stuff on the burner. Maybe put it into my pc and update it then back into the mac who knows eh.

thanks

DVD+R/W should work fine on a Mac. It's just that Apple officially is backing up the DVD-R/W standard. They do support burning DVD+R/W discs in the Mac OS, but since DVD+R and DVD-R are competing standards, Apple sides with one - DVD-R. DVD-R discs should be more compatible with other Macs since there have been Macs shipping with DVD-R drives since early 2001. Other than that, there's not much difference bettween -R and +R drives, so if you are fine with burning +R discs, there shouldn't be a problem.

Just about any DVD burner should work with Toast if you install it in your Mac. However, not many will work with Apple's standard tools (Disc Burner, iApps). I know for a fact that the Pioneer DVR-107D works out of the box with them. For full detailed information on which drives work and to what extent, try going here:

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drived....drivedb.lasso

Just do a search for drive type "DVD+R/RW + DVD-R/RW Drives" and it'll pull up tons of user reports on various drive types.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Also should note that not all DVD drives can read +, but almost every one can read -, and fairly recent computers too

(my combo drive in my DP1250 doesn't read + media).
  • Reply 6 of 16
    codewarriorcodewarrior Posts: 196member
    DealMac has a listing for the Pioneer 107 for $96 new shipped.

Link
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Have a look at the NEC 2500A - 8x DVD burner that can, apparently be flashed to burn dual layer discs at 2.4x

The burner sells for £56 here in the UK.

is being investigated by a friend of mine who has the burner, and has acquired the firmware.

there was a post on www.xlr8yourmac.com ...

"Just a short post to let you know that on www.rpc1.org there has been a post for a third party firmware that apparently takes the NEC 2500a (used in Lacie external DVD+-R drives) (some of them - some Lacie 8x drives also use the DVR-107D which has native support in 10.3.3. NEC 2500a's are also in some Pacific Digital retail boxes as mentioned in past drive db reports-Mike) to the upcoming NEC 2510a a dual layer DVD+R9 (9GB) burner. Initially it was thought the firmware was a hoax, but it has been tested by a couple of moderators on the site who definitely know what they are doing. On post describes actually testing it using DL media with screenshots of results. It looks like there is more work to come, but this is very interesting for people who have this burner as they may be able to make the transition to DL burning without having to fork out for a new DVD writer.

See http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=25531

hang loose

--------

London weather: glorious

Now playing: Faithless/No roots
  • Reply 8 of 16
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    sure would be nice to graab another burner for cheap and turn it into a DL burner.

thanks
  • Reply 9 of 16
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    The DVR-107 sells for $96 on esbuy.com, who then offer a mac version for $134... will the other model not work with a mac or is it just a bundled software difference?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

The DVR-107 sells for $96 on esbuy.com, who then offer a mac version for $134... will the other model not work with a mac or is it just a bundled software difference?

They might just be trying get some extra $$ out of mac users. I'm pretty sure I've seen it happen, but I'm blanking on the details right now.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    but is there any need to spend more or can you just buy the cheaper one?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    The cheaper one is just the bare drive. The more expense one is the retail kit (usually with some software). Since the 107 is supported by 10.3 you don't need the software.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Question bout those DL discs: will current burners burn to DL discs with a firmware update? How about the one in the rev A powerbook 12"? I bet it's possible but they won't. Because then why would we want to buy nice new shiny expen$ive drives from the companies. But I read an article way back about how Panasonic or Pioneer or someone applied firmware to the 104 or 107 and that was all it took, to get it to burn DLs.

DLs will be awesome. Yay no more DVD2One! Wonder how much the cheapest spindle will be per disc. Anyone got any good places? www.meritline.com doesn't have them yet.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    2 questions, hope i'm not sounding too dumb, been out of the loop for a while.

what are DL discs?

what is the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    xsmixsmi Posts: 139member
    DL stands for Dual Layer 8.9 GB's? -R is a format supported by Apple Pioneer and a couple of other companes, was first to market (Superdirve) and said to be more compatible with more drives. +R is a format supported by Micro$oft, Dell and other pc manufacturers. Because of its adoption in pcs and MS backing increases in speed and the new DL disk drives are happening in this format first.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    thanks xsmi, i've gleaned wisdom from your remarks