Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Here is the latest attempt by Sony to get the edge on Apple:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/10/sony_micro_pc/

Is it enough for you?

1. A desktop OS

2. A hi-res screen that is bigger than 3 inches

3. Audio out

4. Connects to a keyboard so that you QWERTY-centric folks don't get nervous.

5. Stylus-based (with Windows??!!)

6. Nice form-factor actually, though what can you tell from a photo

7. Price....yikes! Yes, you might as well get a laptop for that, but what if don't want to carry a laptop?!?!?!?

I think this is getting there, the problem is that the only people with the money to buy one of those will be rich or business folks who will just buy a PB and an iPod.

So OTHER THAN PRICE, what whould need to change to get you to buy this rather than a PB and iPod?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    this is a tablet PC not an iPod killer...

if someone is in the market for this there is nothing they can buy from Apple that will give them similar functionality...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    As long as apple makes it! In terms of everyday office and sharingneeds this type of product is perfect. Hopefully apple will integrate an updated version of inkwell or something like what the Newton had. The price really doesn't scare me nor does the lack of a keyboard, I think it's about time we lost qwerty and give up on the idea of "well I know how to do it this way and there's no reason to think different."
  • Reply 3 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Holy crap, it's a color Newton.

Same basic size, shape...
  • Reply 4 of 16
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Yes, that is very nice. I'd be much happier if it were an Apple product. Also, I wonder about all the hardware buttons on it; it doesn't look very rugged. Also, I don't like all the wires and that flashlight-shaped thing (a battery?). But the size and screen resolution are very good.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Neat... but only for a narrow niche of environments. It's too big to fit in a pocket. Yet, if you're carrying around something that big, you need a bag so you might as well have a laptop. Tablets are also only optimal for sparse mobile data entry. If stationary during use, the laptop form is obviously better.

Tablet computing, still a solution in search of a problem to solve.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Tablet computing, still a solution in search of a problem to solve.

• Reply 7 of 16
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

this is a tablet PC not an iPod killer...

if someone is in the market for this there is nothing they can buy from Apple that will give them similar functionality...

Very true. It doesn't really affect iPods since it is a different beast at a different price.

It is more like a color/video capable Newton more than anything. So was the Newton a solution looking for a problem too? I know one person who doesn't post here much anymore who would not agree with that.

I also am wary of all of those buttons and that is obviously not at all Apple-like, but a videoPod is not meant to be an iPod killer. A videoPod is not meant to be a laptop-killer or even a tablet-killer. It is about what it is, which I think it is significant....a device that is meant to optimize multimedia aquisition and playback at the expense of everything else, including keyboards (even though USB is supported) and optical drives, etc. In that design though there is room for some basic pda functionality.

Does that remind anyone of anything?!?!? The iPod is optimized to do one thing very, very well and there is room for some basic pda functionality.

The desktop OS aside, I think the market is moving that way as long as the screen is big enough to make video and animation a great experience. That is what I don't know. I'm sure no one will watch Lord of the Rings for 4 hours on it, but asI've talked about in the past, the amount of fast, short video content is probably the fastest growing segment of the entertainment market....trailers, Flash animation, iMovie shorts, adverts, music videos....it goes on and on and will continue to grow.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    $1871 <<<---- Why would apple be as stupid as sony? It might sell in japan, but not in the US to a Mac only Market. Sony has nothing on Apple with this. Keep being that stupid, and buy a PC.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

Here is the latest attempt by Sony to get the edge on Apple:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/10/sony_micro_pc/

So OTHER THAN PRICE, what whould need to change to get you to buy this rather than a PB and iPod?

What you need to change is not anything on the machine, but rather what you do and how you do it.

Most of the time, whether you care to admitt it or not, computing is better on a laptop. But if you must stand and enter data on the move, this gets better.

This device will NEVER replace a computer. It can only comlement one. For that to happen two major itmes are crucial:

1.) Form factor -- they're close here. Think somewhere between digital Moleskin and A5 sheet.

2.) Price -- has to cost less than 500. It's basically an accessory, price has to reflect that.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    this didn't look too bad...

on a side note, this Home on iPod thing sounds exciting. If you only need to display or share your data - and not input new info on the spot - then an iPod and a desktop Mac could feasibly render something like this Sony tablet (or indeed PowerBooks) as redundant, or an extravagence. (God forbid!)

just food for thought
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

What you need to change is not anything on the machine, but rather what you do and how you do it.

Most of the time, whether you care to admitt it or not, computing is better on a laptop. But if you must stand and enter data on the move, this gets better.

This device will NEVER replace a computer. It can only comlement one. For that to happen two major itmes are crucial:

1.) Form factor -- they're close here. Think somewhere between digital Moleskin and A5 sheet.

2.) Price -- has to cost less than 500. It's basically an accessory, price has to reflect that.

No argument here on your two points (as we've discussed before), but like I said above and as Mac+ implied - it isn't supposed to replace a computer.

onlookeer: I wouldn't buy one anyway, the tech and price aren't there yet, but why wouldn't this be a great product at $500?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Because only the 25 of you would buy one. Anyone thinking with their head can realize it's just a useless gadget that's going into a drawer for the ones who buy it, and most people wont get that far because it wont be bought. THe first life cycle will sell a bit because of frenzy, but it will come short of expectations, and never make a second. Where is huge demand for this stupid thing? Appleinsider's gadget frenzy junky troll community? These things are not prime time players. Sony's watchman was a perfect example. It went too far. If it wasn't for the Japan gadget frenzy, and the fact that Sony had big time cash that thing would have broke them. This idea is waiting to go down in smoke, and take a huge chunk of apple's cash resources with it. MP3 players were an untaped resource, but it was also done once before with tremendous success. (the walkman) Music is a big part of almost everyones life. MP3 was a big part of every computer users life. iPod had a market before it came to market, and it was a fantastic idea. This isn't. This is a tragic waste of resources that should be exactly where it is now. Directed in another direction that will make money for Apple, and be of some use to Mac users.

Apple has learned over the years how to spot the hit's, and misses. This is a miss, and it's blatantly obvious.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    I'd rather just buy a 12'' PowerBook and take the saved money and get an iPod mini.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Totally a Sony product. High geewhiz factor, precious little functionality.

How bout all those cables and add ons? By the time I have it rigged to be useful, I have a very cumbersome, multipart laptop.

If Apple wanted to compete in this area, I think it would make more sense to just make an iBook with an 8" screen.

Really, when the form factor gets past pocket size, how much more trouble is it to carry a laptop? A few ounce, a few inches, it still has to go in some kind of bag, right?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

...[snip]... Really, when the form factor gets past pocket size, how much more trouble is it to carry a laptop? A few ounce, a few inches, it still has to go in some kind of bag, right?

Admittedly, you said "when the form factor gets past pocket size". However, I'd like to comment on my preference for a handheld device over a laptop at pocket size for the following reason:

I don't own a mobile phone, but I have all my iCal and Address Book data (as well as other Excel files and so on) all sitting on my TiPB. I would love to be able to open these files without having to take the laptop out of the computer bag, flip the lid and then clear out some space and position it somewhere on a bench top so I can read the data.

I think there is something to be said for true portability and the convenience of hand held data access.

Not saying that I want to input data necessarily, but the ability to access a variety of media and data with a minmum of fuss when I'm out and about is what I'm waiting for. (preferably on a color photo or video capable iPod)
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

I'd rather just buy a 12'' PowerBook and take the saved money and get an iPod mini.

That makes financial sense!! Only I like the pda form for several things: handheld star charts (Palm Planetarium); language translation software; conversion charts and money/account apps which I will never do on a cellphone....and at the same time a laptop is overkill.

The Palm is a really useful device. Even if Apple doesn't make one, the idea of a handheld with multimedia and good graphics IS popular NOW. This is not a solution waiting for a problem.

Anyway I'm fine with my old Visor for now anyway. But Apple would get my money and many others' if they cam up with something...especially since I don't have an iPod yet.