My powerbook was stolen.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
like two hours ago.

my isight and ipod charger were in the same bag.

fuck fuck

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Shit, what happened? Did you just leave your bag unattended somewhere, or did someone yank it from you? I see unattended backpacks and other assorted bags left out WAY too often at my job at the library. The problem is, I usually can't tell whether the person picking up the bag is the rightful owner or not. But it's certainly a problem here.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    thedustinthedustin Posts: 176member
    I don't let mine out of my sight. I even keep my foot in the shoulder strap during class. I don't even let the thought of it getting stolen enter my mind. Could you give us more info on how it was stolen? I could not even imagine of mine was ever stolen. I know this is late for you, but for everybody else, FYI, to insure about $7000+ worth of cameras, lenses, 17" PB, etc. is costing about $247 bucks a year. Covers pretty much everything except "earth movement and floods." Even my errors, like if I drop something. Totally worth it. I am extremely sorry that your PB got stolen.

_thedustin
  • Reply 3 of 41
    I left it in the car.

I think I left the doors locked, who knows.

I get back and the bag was gone. They didn't take my iPod mini though.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    aww man, that's lame!

what's the word on getting a new one? insurance?
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

aww man, that's lame!

what's the word on getting a new one? insurance?

I can buy a new one I am just worried about the fact that my entire life was in that machine.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    i bought some stuff online with that computer. should I cancel my credit card?
  • Reply 7 of 41
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by soulcrusher

i bought some stuff online with that computer. should I cancel my credit card?

Not unless you did something silly like record the card numbers in a file somewhere. No one's going to get it from either cookies or history files.

EDIT - then again, if you have iTMS one-click purchasing enabled...
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Not unless you did something silly like record the card numbers in a file somewhere. No one's going to get it from either cookies or history files.

i'd get an email confirmation from apple about the $1 purchase.

so if it happens I can cancel then.

also, if they get into the internet without a clean install then I will see my address inutilbasura.homedns.org up. and I can get their IP.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

also, if they get into the internet without a clean install then I will see my address inutilbasura.homedns.org up. and I can get their IP.

Well that might actually work!

Chances are pretty low that a car B&E kid, or even his fence, are smart enough to clean install.

It sucks, same thing happened to a Wallstreet of mine years ago (stolen out of backseat of car). Fortunately I had a week-old backup so it was mostly the $$ loss that hurt.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    call the cops... you are a student right?

file a stolen property report with the campus police...

where was the car when it was stolen? any chance of video surveillance in the area? (IE popular entrances/exits... unless of course they were driving a car...)

you know the approx time of day?
  • Reply 11 of 41
    soulcrushersoulcrusher Posts: 587member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

call the cops... you are a student right?

file a stolen property report with the campus police...

where was the car when it was stolen? any chance of video surveillance in the area? (IE popular entrances/exits... unless of course they were driving a car...)

you know the approx time of day?

I am home now. Not in school.

The car was in the parking lot when the powerbook was stolen.

I asked the security guard and he said he didn't see anything.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

I am home now. Not in school.

The car was in the parking lot when the powerbook was stolen.

I asked the security guard and he said he didn't see anything.

ah damn...

costa rica right? or colombia? I forget ...

ummm insurance?

do you have a password on the machine?
  • Reply 13 of 41
    soulcrushersoulcrusher Posts: 587member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

ah damn...

costa rica right? or colombia? I forget ...

ummm insurance?

do you have a password on the machine?

costa rica. I do have a password in the machine but it logs in automatically when it starts up.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    thedustinthedustin Posts: 176member
    I never trust security anywhere, they get paid to watch property, and get paid to "look away" as well, ya know what I'm sayin.

_thedustin
  • Reply 15 of 41
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Damn that sucks! I'm sorry to hear it. You weren't at Dook at the time? I was going to say "Durham..." but I guess it can happen anywhere...
  • Reply 16 of 41
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    I groaned out loud when I saw this thread title. Sincerest commiserations. I'd cry for days.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

1-click could save your life - have apple and your card co work together and if this bastard is dumb enough to use it, bingo - we have a location, unless he was useing an open wi-fi share to do it whch, outside of downtown in a large metro, arent easy to find. apple gives him the song, turns his IP over to the card co and the feds and blamo, he is popped for theft, creadit fraud and depending how crazy he goes, ID theft.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    asenasen Posts: 93member
    Quote:

I was in a similar position when I lived in Madrid 4 years ago. Some caballeros burgled my house and ran off with my desktop. The Police got very interested when I explained that they could tail the burglars if they dialed up my ISP - but unfortunately they never did, and the computer was never found.

I also knew that because of auto-complete on at least one online store, my CC number was on the computer. For peace of mind, I had to cancel the lot. Then there was the agonising wait for the new card to arrive in the mail, which I could then use to buy a new computer.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    shit. You have my sympathies.

I had my powerbook stolen a year ago too. Damn nightmare it was.

• Reply 20 of 41
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I remember seeing a Bond film years ago - one of the later Moore ones, perhaps "For Your Eyes Only" - and his Lotus had a "theft deterrent" sticker on the window. Some goon commences to breaking window and the entire car explodes, taking goon with it.

I don't advocate exploding laptops - not yet - but I think it would be cool if you could rig a laptop up with some sort of massive electrical shock device, and anyone who doesn't log in properly gets a Tazer-level jolt or two.

Also, some sort of GPS-based Lo-Jack type of device, embedded in the chip or body, so you - or the authorities - could track the stolen laptop.

One - the shock - would be a deterrent and not allow anyone to even USE your laptop. Then while they slink away in pain, you could put a trace on the device and go find it.

I'm sure they stole it due to hard economic times caused by the Bush administration and whatnot, and that he couldn't help it and was pretty much justified in taking what doesn't belong to him, because, hey...nobody was hurt and there's an illegal war going on, conducted by an appointed President (hey, just trying to live in ShawnPatrick's shoes for a minute or two...absolutely terrifying).

On a serious and sincere note, I'm truly sorry about your PowerBook being stolen. That's horrible. I, too, have "my entire life" on my PowerBook and I know exactly how I'd feel if some asshole took it. Pictures, songs, writing, journal, art, projects, illustrations, everything set the way I like it, etc.

It's just wrong. People work hard to buy things and it's not right for someone to just take that. I hate a thief, and I'd go toe-to-toe with one in a heartbeat, just on principle. It's not yours to take, fuckhead. No excuse for this low-rent behavior.

And, at 3% marketshare, there's a very good chance the bastard knows nothing about Macs anyway. He wasn't stealing "a PowerBook he's always wanted". He was just "stealing a computer", and, chances are, won't know the first damn thing to do with it. That almost makes it worse...

Watch him try to call tech support...the sheer balls.

"Yeah, uh...hello? Yeah, I, um, got this laptop here...and, uh, I think it's messed up because there ain't no "Start" button in the corner. And the window says "X", but there's no "P" afterwards. My name? Uh, John Smith..."

Dick.