repairing panther

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
does anyone know if I have the full panther cd, how can I repair my current version of panther on my mac?

The problem is taht I am trying to install an HP designjet and the drivers won't take. I ran printer setup repair from fixamac.net and it showed that I have some files missing and that may be causing the problem. It said I may have to re-install the OS, but this is an issue on all my mac's. Is there a way to do a repair on panther?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Well...first off, this is more of a Genius Bar type question, just for future reference.

And now for the solution(s)

I would try booting off your Panther CD (put in CD 1, reboot while holding down the C key)

It'll take you to the install screen, but don't do that. Go up to the menubar at the top of the screen and look for "Disk Utility" in one of them, load Disk Utility and select your boot volume, click "repair drive" or whatever it says.

It'll do its thing and you should be good. If not, you might want to do a file system check

Reboot while holding down the apple key and "s". It'll boot into single user mode (white text on a black screen). Wait for all the text to load and type in

Code:

/sbin/fsck -f

It'll run through and do the file system check. When it's done it'll either say "the file system was repaired" (or something similar), or the volume [Name of your HD] appears to be OK. If it says "the file system was repaired, re run the file system check (using the above code) until it says that your volume is OK.

Than type "reboot" and it'll restart your computer. That should do it.

If not, backup and reinstall.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    one or the other, not both... (fsck or diskutil repair... they do the same thing when run from the panther CDs...)

what OS are you running? 10.3.3?

the panther disks you have give you the option of doing an Archive and install... which will "repair" your panther install but you will have to move all your preferences manually...

what you could do is just install all the drivers and the BSD subsystem separate from a OS reinstall...

just run whatever package you want from each panther CD (there should be 3)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    I did the install and archive and it all worked well.

Didnt want to do that on the G5 incase I would run into problems so for the G5 I simply brought the printer files etc... from teh G4 to the G5

thanks