drive failure after defrag.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hi all,

thanks a bil in advance for any help here..

when defragging my drive with norton taday, i received an error that said something like, "speed disk ecountered an error while rescanning drive... " this was after the defrag was done i i think.

as it stands, the drive wont mount and or if i boot off the 10.3 disk, the drive utility shows the drive, but says it cant repair the drive. same goes for disk doctor. drive wont boot upo either.. or mount via firewire target mode..

what should i do here? any suggstions on drive recovery software and the like would be cool..

the cpu is a g4 500 agp.. and i was running 10.2.8...

thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Diskwarrior for recovery.

Avoid Norton LIKE THE PLAGUE. As you've found out, it frequently causes more problems than it is supposed to solve.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    A buddy of mine found out about norton the hard way, too. Ran diskwarrior and it got it to sort of work, but the drive kept thinking there were folders that actually didn't exist. He ended up wiping the drive.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    lgnomelgnome Posts: 81member
    hi all,

to follow up... i ran disk warrior classic on the drive, HD set to FW target mode...took about 2 hours for the rebuild.. i stopped it a couple times thinking my laptop had froze.. tons of errors and lost files were fixed.. the drive mounts now. computer wouldnt boot up, so i had to reinstall the OS.. not sure if this was because i was using an older version of disk warrior or if norton just hosed it.. got the data back though..

lesson here.. NO NOT use speed disk on an OSX volume..

yep..