changing the name of the Home folder

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have just bought a 2nd-hand iMac running OS 10.1.5 & so far all is fine, the only slightly irritating problem is that my Home folder (/Users/ directory) is named "dave" after the guy who used to own this machine, even after I have deleted all users except for my own login & set myself to have Admin priveleges. I was able to change the name in NetInfo Manager but the Finder will still not allow me to edit the name--every time I try to alter it, it says I don't have the right access priveledges.

Not exactly an urgent problem, I know, but it's kindof grating to save all my stuff in what appears to be "somebody else's" Home.

Many thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dmgeistdmgeist Posts: 153member
    Backup and wipe the drive......no more dave.....
  • Reply 2 of 3
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    No, there's a much easier solution. Create a new user with all the specifics you want and give him admin privileges. Then delete 'Dave'. VoilÃ*!

But don't forget to backup all your stuff before.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    2much2much Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

No, there's a much easier solution. Create a new user with all the specifics you want and give him admin privileges. Then delete 'Dave'. VoilÃ*!

But don't forget to backup all your stuff before.

Thanks for that, I was sure there had to be an easier way... I will do it as soon as I'm over the novelty of being Dave.