Rochester!?!!!!???!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Now that that giant boat will be drifting between Rochester and Toronto I'm forced to ask the question; What the hell is in Rochester???

I don't mean that in the snobby "I'm from Toronto! The Centre of the Universe!" way. I mean that I really don't know what the hell is in Rochester or upstate NY for that matter. They've started advertising the Rochester ferry in Toronto this past week with billboards in Union Station. One of them shows a lake, one an old building and another has Big Bird on it. I find it hard to believe that that's the sum of what the Rochester area has to offer. So I'm asking the good people of AI that live in and arond there. What is in Rochester?

Mayhaps the Rochester contingent of AI is also wondering what the hell there is in the Big Smoke aside from the world's largest phallic symbol. So, I guess....I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    It's almost like running a ferry from Chicago to Muskegon.

Anyway upstate NY? Finger Lakes? Wine? I think the main purpose is to cut down on the drive time to NYC right?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Looks like a lot of fun.

http://www.catsfastferry.com
  • Reply 3 of 22
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    You could come visit me. I think mostly people in Rochester are excited because they can get to Toronto fast. But there is some stuff to do here, you just gotta look around a little.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Looks like a lot of fun.

http://www.catsfastferry.com

that was simply amusing.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    inactionmaninactionman Posts: 618member
    Was the beginning of that song a rip-off of an INXS song? Devil Inside or Need you Tonight?

People coming to Toronto will be very impressed when the boat pulls up a series of portables and a lovely view of the industrial wasteland that is Toronto's Waterfront.

Maybe all the AIers in the area should take over the Ferry for the next Stevenote. Will get them to show it one of the big screens. Everyone on the boat would think we were so cool.

Toronto's smoking ban comes into effect June 1st so I don't really see a reason to come here.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    whats torontos smoking ban? they already banned smoking in bars, where could they possibly be stopping u from smoking in now, your house??
  • Reply 7 of 22
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Rochester???!!!

/nobodyknows...

• Reply 8 of 22
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I used to teach at the University of Rochester: I was cmmuting from Syracuse.

There is a big cemetery . . . I usually had a couple of hours to kill so I would drive through the cemetery and park for a nap.

There is also the Politechnic Institute . . . a very good tech school

as well as Kodac.

But mostly its a dying once-thriving North-Eastern Industrial city (Syracuse, Poughkipsie, Utica, etc etc) that experiences INCREDIBLY tedious winters: Lake -Effect snow fall . . . nota as bad as Syracuse though . . . which had snow EVERY DAY for nine months, with big heavy, wet snow-flakes!!!
  • Reply 9 of 22
    mgossettmgossett Posts: 85member
    Rochester is home to several higher-education institutions, most notably the University of Rochester, RIT, Nazareth College, St. John Fisher College, and Monroe Community College.

As a student at the U of R, I can tell you that there are a lot of college students who are happy about the ferry, mostly because the drinking age is 19 in Toronto 8) .
  • Reply 10 of 22
    So you all will take the ferry over friday afternoon and hope to make it back on the first boat on monday?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    A hint for all underage students coming to the TeeDot to drink the best patio in the summer is by far The Black Bull on Queen Street West. Just get your beer in bottles the domestic tap there is putrid and will make you vomit. Just down the street is a place call The Rex, best tap on Queen West.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

A hint for all underage students coming to the TeeDot to drink the best patio in the summer is by far The Black Bull on Queen Street West. Just get your beer in bottles the domestic tap there is putrid and will make you vomit. Just down the street is a place call The Rex, best tap on Queen West.

... It's been 13 years since I called T.O. 'home'; is "Amsterdam" or "My Apartment" still around? What about the Bovine Sex Club?

Ah, memories.

-John
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by bangstudios

... It's been 13 years since I called T.O. 'home'; is "Amsterdam" or "My Apartment" still around? What about the Bovine Sex Club?

Ah, memories.

-John

I think My Apartment and BSC are still around. Not sure where Amsterdam was, tell me where it is/was.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

It's almost like running a ferry from Chicago to Muskegon.

Did you mean Milwaukee to Muskegon?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Did you mean Milwaukee to Muskegon?

No I mean Chicago. I've been told that Toronto and Chicago are alike.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    atroxatrox Posts: 22member
    Lots of golf. Some strange people like that "sport"

Lot's of arts. Great museum or 2. Geva Theater etc.

Some decent music.

Cheaper shopping.

Nick Tahoes Garbage Plates

great restaurants

Excellent education. (RIT, U of R)

The ferry is mostly so we can enjoy going to Toronto I'm thinking, but there are a few things here worth checking out. I'm sure to see a bunch of plaid panted people coming off the ferry with clubs in their hands.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Your shitty canadian weather..
  • Reply 18 of 22
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Nick Tahoe's garbage plates! Hell yeah, I'd make the trip across the lake on the fast ferry for a garbage plate! Oh man, I'm almost tempted to go get one now. I guess there's some decent clubs around, but I'm not really into that. If you're into underground punk or hardcore it'd be worth the trip for a good show.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Oh god! That stupid boat is just sitting in Toronto Harbour, apparently the engine is blown. Now I have to stare at that ugly beast every day (I can see it out my office window). If any of you come, make sure you wave when the boat pulls in, I promise I'll wave back!