Browser Compatibility

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Are there any browsers that mimic the rendering of WinIE? I don't want to install VPC or hook up a PC if I don't have to. I was hoping there was a browser for the mac that rendered as poorly as WinIE so I could tell what my stuff would look like before I try to show something off and find out it doesn't display correctly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    No, but I hear that entering the text of the Necronomicon backwards into Xcode on the night of a full moon and hitting "Build" will do the trick... at the cost of your sanity.

If you value your sanity, best to use VPC, or find a PC to use.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Safari's Debug menu has User Agent settings for Win IE,

but I'm not sure if it still uses the same internal rendering engine.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    *sigh*

How much space does VPC take up? I'd really like to NOT have to hook up a PC, I am just about to finally rid my house of all my useless computers/parts/things I'm no even sure what they are.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Safari's Debug menu has User Agent settings for Win IE,

but I'm not sure if it still uses the same internal rendering engine.

The rendering engine doesn't change when you change the user agent, it just causes your browser to tell the web server sweet little lies about which browser it is. It's mainly useful for accessing sites that only work on a limited set of browsers.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

There's a site where you can upload some html and it renders it like various browsers do. Or maybe they just send you a screen grab.

http://www.browsercam.com

I use it and like it a lot. There is a free trial of 100 captures. There are a few restrictions, so read them, but it's worth a try. IMO, their pricing is very good - $39.95 for unlimited usage for one month. I've probably had thousands of captures done so far, and it sure beats having a Linux, Win 98, Win 2000, Win XP, and OS X box on my desk.