AGP 4x Slot - Best card...?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well... with all this talk about Jaguar and QuartzExtreme... I've been thinking about upgrading my AGP card in my G4.

What is the current Top-of-the-line AGP card that I can put in my Mac...? Is it the GForce4 Titanium...?

I'm looking to get the best card available.

Thnx.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott F.:

<strong>Well... with all this talk about Jaguar and QuartzExtreme... I've been thinking about upgrading my AGP card in my G4.

What is the current Top-of-the-line AGP card that I can put in my Mac...? Is it the GForce4 Titanium...?

I'm looking to get the best card available.

Thnx.</strong><hr></blockquote>

ATM the top-of-the-line consumer card for the Mac is the GeForce 4 Ti.

But, I wouldn't buy one right now. ATi is announcing it's new cards on the same day as the MacWorld Keynote. nVidia will announce it's new cards to compete with ATi sometime in the next month or two too.

10.2 won't be in your grubby little fingers until at least 2 months, so it might be a good idea to wait-and-see.

Barto
  • Reply 2 of 3
    scott f.scott f. Posts: 276member
    good point... I'm just trying to line my ducks up so I can make my purchase when the time comes.

Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I'd argue that the top of the liner at the moment is the Radeon 8500. Ati's drivers have always been better, and any minscule performance gap is acceptable to me, since the Ati cards seem to push much more accurate graphics in all of the tests I've seen. Plus, they take care of DVD playback, unlike the GeForce cards, if that matters to you.