losing network connex upon wake from sleep

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all-

Got a problem with a flat-screen iMac running OS X 10.2. It's a friend's computer, and I'm diagnosing it by phone, so apologies that I don't have all the details.

The iMac is connected via ethernet to a Linksys router, which is in turn connected to a DSL modem. My friend has lately found that when she wakes her computer from sleep, she loses her network connection: she can't open a connection either to an outside Web site or to the router (which I assume means that the problem is with her iMac's network interface rather than the router's connection to the Internet).

She is not very computer savvy, so this is how she described what happens: when she wakes her iMac up from sleep and opens Safari, her homepage (which is her Yahoo mail page) won't open, but instead an error message comes up informing her that the browser can't contact the Web page. Previously, she had found that if she opened new Safari windows, eventually her Yahoo page would come up without her having to do anything else. However, sometimes she needs to reboot the computer in order to get a connection. Today she called me because she couldn't connect; that's when I had her try without success to connect to the router. Upon rebooting the computer, everything worked fine.

I will probably go over myself in a few days to have a look, but wondered if anyone had heard of this sort of issue and had any suggestion that I could pass along, or try for myself when I get over there. Thanks in advance.

jf

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    I can only suggest what might already be on the checklist:-

1.) If the router and the DSL modem are on the same hub as the pc (a logical route) then check that only one of them is doing DHCP. It might be best to setup manual IP configs.

2.) I always try the following in order when I have network problems...

* Ping localhost or 127.0.0.1

* ping my assigned ip (eg 192.168.1.3)

* ping another host on the subnet if available (eg. 192.168.1.5)

* ping the gateway (192.168.1.1)

* ping something past the gateway BY IP ADDRESS.

* ping something past the gateway by host.domain name.

GL
  • Reply 2 of 3
    the generalthe general Posts: 649member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jfruh

Hi all-

Got a problem with a flat-screen iMac running OS X 10.2. It's a friend's computer, and I'm diagnosing it by phone, so apologies that I don't have all the details.

The iMac is connected via ethernet to a Linksys router, which is in turn connected to a DSL modem. My friend has lately found that when she wakes her computer from sleep, she loses her network connection: she can't open a connection either to an outside Web site or to the router (which I assume means that the problem is with her iMac's network interface rather than the router's connection to the Internet).

She is not very computer savvy, so this is how she described what happens: when she wakes her iMac up from sleep and opens Safari, her homepage (which is her Yahoo mail page) won't open, but instead an error message comes up informing her that the browser can't contact the Web page. Previously, she had found that if she opened new Safari windows, eventually her Yahoo page would come up without her having to do anything else. However, sometimes she needs to reboot the computer in order to get a connection. Today she called me because she couldn't connect; that's when I had her try without success to connect to the router. Upon rebooting the computer, everything worked fine.

I will probably go over myself in a few days to have a look, but wondered if anyone had heard of this sort of issue and had any suggestion that I could pass along, or try for myself when I get over there. Thanks in advance.

jf

I have had this problem a few different times on different machines, only thing I could get to fix it was reinstall of OSX(archive and install worked). not sure why. couldnt trace it to any particular software, preferences or anything....)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.