Transfering all files from current to New Computer

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

Just wondering what is the best way to transfer old files on my current computer (Pismo G3 500) to my new 1.5Ghz 15'Al powerbook. Pismo is running 10.3.2. (Still haven't solved the freezing if the computer goes to sleep automatically on the Pismo, ok if manually put it to sleep, computer also seems to shut off, if sometimes, i disconnect the powercord)

My Current thinking on doing this is outlined below

Not sure if there is a faster and better way to do this? hope there is!

a) Re-install All applications on the new computer

b) Transefer Contents of User folder one by one (Music, Documents, Movies, Pictures etc)

c) Transfer Mail Folder (where is that?)

d) Transfer Adressbook information (where is that - does it that include my Ichat Info?)

e) Transfer bookmarks for Explorer and Safari (where are they?)

f) Stickies files? (where are they?)

g) Transfer my MSN / ICQ Folders

Also do i have to re-enter all the

a) Network settings for internet

b) install all the printer Drivers

c) and what about all the passwords etc in the keychain, is there a file i can simply replaceon the new machine?

Thanks for your help . this will save me heaps of time. . as at the moment this seems like a mammoth task. . there must be a better way!

Derrick

ps: Also curious about what the temporary folder is for???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dachimaster

a) Re-install All applications on the new computer

Yes.

Quote:

b) Transefer Contents of User folder one by one (Music, Documents, Movies, Pictures etc)

Right.

Quote:

c) Transfer Mail Folder (where is that?)

~/Library/Mail/

Quote:

d) Transfer Adressbook information (where is that - does it that include my Ichat Info?)

Better File->Back up Database and then, on your new Mac, File->Revert to Database Backup

Quote:

e) Transfer bookmarks for Explorer and Safari (where are they?)

~/Library/Preferences/Explorer/Favorites.html and ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist, respectively.

Quote:

f) Stickies files? (where are they?)

What's that?

Quote:

Also do i have to re-enter all the

a) Network settings for internet

I would (and did): it takes 2-3 minutes and guarantees the result.

Quote:

b) install all the printer Drivers

Yes.

Quote:

c) and what about all the passwords etc in the keychain, is there a file i can simply replaceon the new machine?

Look in ~/Library/Keychains/
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thanks. . i hoped there was a better way, but guess there isn't (wouldn't mind setting up network only once (but i have several network connections, as well as about 10 printers - i work and play around a lot!)

Derrick
  • Reply 3 of 4
    drumsticksdrumsticks Posts: 315member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dachimaster

Thanks. . i hoped there was a better way, but guess there isn't (wouldn't mind setting up network only once (but i have several network connections, as well as about 10 printers - i work and play around a lot!)

Derrick

I've done something similar, ie, moving from an old hard drive to another newer one (and subsequently dumping the old one). I just moved the ENTIRE home directory, ie, the /Users/homedir folder from the old set up to the new one.

Most of everything (contact list, email database, stickies, music, photos, wallpaper, screen savers, etc) transferred across fine. Almost as if I was using the old set up. Only thing that needs setting up again are system wide settings like sleep timer, network proxy, security options, login options, etc. I don't have any printers, so I'm not sure if that will be copied over. I'm guessing printers might be system wide, and hence will NOT be copied over.

In my case, the home directories were of the same name. I don't know if it will work if the name is changed though. Good luck!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Yes.

Right.

~/Library/Mail/

you should also take the com.apple.mail.plist (which is located in the pref. folder inside the library) with you, otherwise mail app won't find your mail network settings (pop server and such) and you have to type in all your settings again.

for the sticky question it is just one single file, which is located in ~/Library. I'm not on a mac right now, but off top of my head i think it is called "stickydatabase.plist" or something similar. If you once opened your home library you will discover it quickly.

oh i forgot the adressbook question: yeah you can ex- an' import. That is probably the aproppriate route. Though, the entire database of adressbook is located in the "~/Library/application support/". well I'm not on my mac so i can not prove the name. Inside that particular folder there is another folder (many others), which is called "adressbook" There you are, drag that folder where ever you want to back up.

Tip: If you want to back up your entire settings/environment/etc simply drag your "~/Library to a hd/volume/whatever once in a while.