iBook/PowerBook as SatNav?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was wandering if it's possible to get some kind of accessory (antenna) and software to use a Mac laptop as 'Car Sat-Navigation System'? It's something I have use for once in a while and being able to use my laptop would be great.

I know there are options out there for PC users but is there a way to transform an iBook into a SatNav?

Thanks in advance

kelib

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I would be interested in hearing about this as well... it would be doubly cool if the GPS device was a PC card or CF card...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    By "SatNav" I assume you mean GPS. And sure it's possible. The asses at DeLorme stopped making StreetAtlas but there is at least Route66 USA 2004 which works with GPS modules a plenty, including Bluetooth GPS modules which I'd love to eventually get but are currently pricey.

www.66.com

And Route 66 USA of course includes Canada because really what is Canada but the 51st state right?

There's a bunch of other GPS stuff at VersionTracker.com
  • Reply 3 of 6
    thunderpoitthunderpoit Posts: 709member
    ill vouch for Route 66, great mapping app. Ever since mapquest killed their trip planner feature, i have used nothing else. as far as listing stores, resturaunts, and other businesses on the map, with phone info, it has a few minor glitches, but is otherwise awsome. worth well over the 40$ i paid for it.

only thing that really hinders it is the documentation is not the greatest. there is one feature that they mention where it can pull traffic info off the internet and display it on any maps youre looking at, however, they fail to mention that this feature is not supported in the NA/US version
  • Reply 4 of 6
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Found some interesting reading on this here. Looks worth trying out
  • Reply 5 of 6
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Has really no one here tried this
  • Reply 6 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

Found some interesting reading on this here. Looks worth trying out

WOW!!! that looks GREAT!!!

PERFECT!!

any links to a US merchant that sells it?

US pricing information?