The iPod could be the next digital hub!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I woke up this morning with the mother of all Apple epiphanies and I just had to share it.

Already, the iPod is developing an ecosystem all its own. It has third party companies tripping all over themselves trying to build the next must-have iPod accessory. Already, you can dump your photos directly into the iPod. You can also use it for voice recording. There is no reason why you won't soon be able to dump video from your DV camcorder into it as well. But my big idea goes beyond all that...

I believe that the living room is the next battle field and the iPod can take that market as well if it moves fast. All Apple has to do is make a dock that has cable and a/v i/o connectors. Connect the dock between the cable source and the TV, dock your iPod, and woola; you have a set top box to end all set top boxes. With a standard phone line, you can subscribe to the Tivo service. Apple does not have to reinvent the wheel here. The iPod already has a 40 GB HD. That is bigger than my Tivo HD. The software is just a little bit of flash ROM. You can control it from your couch with a remote such as the naviPod.

Connected to your stereo is a similar dock. An iPod in that scenario would be able to not only play its musical contents, it would also be able to record radio programs, (sports, talk shows, and the like). Although you can use just one iPod for everything, people would conceivably want three. One for the PVR, one for the Stereo, and one to carry with them. A person could then take any of these iPods and sync them up with their Mac to burn their TV or radio shows to DVD. The beauty of this idea is that they don't have to change one single component of the iPod. Just add a little software and partner with existing companies like Tivo for the service. The software part shouldn't be any more difficult than implementing voice recording. The only new device that is required is the dock that includes i/o for cable, a standard phone jack, and a/v.

While we are on the subject of phone jacks, is there any reason such a setup could not answer your phone and record your messages as well? This is one idea I sincerely hope someone steals and implements quickly. I would gladly by another couple of iPods. What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    The iPod is a portable device, and I'm sure that Apple would like to sell a few of them to every household in the world. As such it is best to keep it a portable, personal device. A Hub is more of a stationary device to synchronize your iLife, as such it should be a more powerful device capable of synching multiple users and devices for the whole family. I think that eventually the Hub will evolve into a server of some type, which could be linked into with portable computers and stationary, low cost terminals, Audio video components, telephones, etc. through a wireless or wired connection. Possibly even synching a car stereo to the "network" when you pull up into the drive way. Trying to make the iPod into this device would ultimately limit Apple's potential market for new devices while potentially compromising the iPod's ability to do what it was designed to do as well as it does now by overloading it with features. Don't forget the message coming out of Apple about convergence devices, they don't do the jobs that they were designed to do well.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    formatc2formatc2 Posts: 176member
    How about a simpler concept.

1. Download movies via iMovie

2. Sync iPod

3. iPod dock connected to TV/stereo
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormatC2

How about a simpler concept.

1. Download movies via iMovie

2. Sync iPod

3. iPod dock connected to TV/stereo

It would be easier to have a networked device plugged into the TV that would be able to call up the desired movie from a library stored on the computer and play it on command. You could also make such a device cheaper because you would not necessarily need a hard drive for it, or if one were present it could be a less expensive standard hard drive which could double as extra storage for files on your "network". In most homes VCR's, DVD's, and TV's are stationary devices and don't need the mobility that a iPod offers.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    formatc2formatc2 Posts: 176member
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

don't need the mobility that a iPod offers.

The mobility aspect is exactly what I want. I want to take movies to my friend's house, or on vacation.

I have three TV's in the house. I want to take my movies between TV's. I don't want to buy three appliances... I don't want to buy three iPod video docks either.

Wonder if Wireless Firewire can increase mobility? I guess you would still need something or some capability on each TV you go to...

Hell, how about just a cable, iPod to RCA or S-video... That would be convenient!!!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormatC2

The mobility aspect is exactly what I want. I want to take movies to my friend's house, or on vacation.

I have three TV's in the house. I want to take my movies between TV's. I don't want to buy three appliances... I don't want to buy three iPod video docks either.

Wonder if Wireless Firewire can increase mobility? I guess you would still need something or some capability on each TV you go to...

Hell, how about just a cable, iPod to RCA or S-video... That would be convenient!!!

Then you need the hardware to play that video integrated into the iPod. To do this you would probably need to sacrifice battery size or HD size which would make the iPod more expensive if it were to keep specs that are similar to those that we enjoy today.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I have considered the ideas you all are putting out there. But I still like mine the best. Think about it. All that is needed for the iPod to take over the PVR market is an appropriate dock and a little bit of software. It is already a HD that is capable of recording, moving from television to computer and back again. In fact, you would not even need a computer to take advantage of it. The same could be done for the stereo and probably a number of other devices. The iPod as it stands is three quarters there already. I am not suggesting a technology shift, just an application enhancement.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

I have considered the ideas you all are putting out there. But I still like mine the best. Think about it. All that is needed for the iPod to take over the PVR market is an appropriate dock and a little bit of software. It is already a HD that is capable of recording, moving from television to computer and back again. In fact, you would not even need a computer to take advantage of it. The same could be done for the stereo and probably a number of other devices. The iPod as it stands is three quarters there already. I am not suggesting a technology shift, just an application enhancement.

Where does the video hardware exist, on the iPod or the Dock? If on the iPod then how much battery are you willing to sacrifice, or pay extra for a smaller/more expensive battery (if one exists) to give you the extra space for the video hardware? Same for the HD, you would probably need to move to a smaller HD, adding to the cost and reducing the capacity of the HD. That would add at least $100 to the retail cost of an iPod, more realisticly $200.

If the Video circuitry is in the Dock, then you add the cost to the dock. That would still add at least $100 to the cost of the iPod, meanwhile the base station that you built is basically a video appliance that is "slaved" to the iPod, and useless without it. If you have an Appliance it would be more affordable on a per unit price than the video iPod would, and if you wanted it to operate with the iPod you could always add a FW in port to it for sharing movies.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Is this for real? I mean, really, you must be insane. Tell me you are insane. Please?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Is this for real? I mean, really, you must be insane. Tell me you are insane. Please?

I'm insane.

Clearly, I am no engineer. It just seems like not that big of a deal to add the capability. Oh well, back to the drawing board. I still think the iPod could become a conduit between your digital devices. It is portable enough to take anywhere and has a large enough capacity to hold just about anything. Its talents are being wasted as just a music player IMO.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Circa 1982, Redmond, Washington:

"A computer controlled by WHAT? A 'MOUSE'?!? And a WHAT? A 'graphical user interface'? Is this for real? Are you insane? Why would someone do that? Is it even possible?"

-John
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

I'm insane.

Clearly, I am no engineer. It just seems like not that big of a deal to add the capability. Oh well, back to the drawing board. I still think the iPod could become a conduit between your digital devices. It is portable enough to take anywhere and has a large enough capacity to hold just about anything. Its talents are being wasted as just a music player IMO.

The key word there is conduit, not the all encompassing digital life style device ... portable music player, PVR-on-the-go, PDA, etc, etc. They might be able to build that with miniaturization of components, and leading edge technology, but would the market support such a device at the cost that it would take to put one out? Let the iPod be what it is, a great music player with some added conveniences. Let the iMac/PowerMac be the hub and the iSight be the iSight. More digital lifestyle devices will come in time and Apple will do their best to get them right, but based on past statements from Apple I would not expect an all encompassing convergence device.