PB G4 12" 867 Processor Upgrade

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I know i have seen a thread on here before about upgrading the processor on a 12" 867 mhz g4 powerbook but i searched and can't find it. Has anyone here done it? How much of difference in performance did you notice? What brand of prosessor did you install.

If you know where the thread is that i am talking about, please post a link and i will delete this thread. Thanks for the help in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    Never heard of such a thing...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Dude you're killin me....I so wish there was one. And a graphics card update too.... Would that be cool if Apple at least allowed the 17" PowerBook to be udpateable for gfx and/or cpu.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Not gonna happen.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    It might be possible to take a Pismo/Wallstreet (PB G3) up to a G4 867,

and both Newer and PowerLogix make G4 cpu upgrades in the 500 range for these pre-2000 machines.

There have been rumours that somebody's got a faster G4 part in the pipeline

but you don't get the mobo bus benefits, or the modern gpu

Ti's and Albooks have no known upgrades other than HD/RAM/Wireless
  • Reply 5 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    My reasoning on Apple allowing 17" PBs to be upgradeable is this: with a 12 or even 15, it isn't too expensive and Apple wants users to buy a whole new laptop after a few years. A 17" PowerBook is damn expensive and you likely won't buy a new one for a long time so why not make it even more attractive of a purchase by allowing upgrades? Whether 3rd party or perhaps even Apple which would allow still more income for them. Besides it would have more space for daughtercards or however the upgrade would be implemented.