re-arrange the backlit keyboard?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm looking at upgrading my laptop for one with a backlit keyboard (last gen 15" TiBook to first gen 15" AlBook). Now, the problem - I use the Dvorak keyboard. Is it possible to change around the backlit keyboard's keys so that they are in Dvorak layout, rather than Qwerty?

Also, any general opinions on the upgrade? Should only cost me about £200 or so tops, so it seems worth it... Both Superdrive machines, top of the ranges at the time.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I'm pretty sure that you can pop-off the key caps and rearrange them without any detriment to the backlighting feature. I'm not 100% sure though!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    That is correct, but popping them off is a tricky matter, well, it's easy to take them off, trickier to put them back on again, I struggled for 25 minutes trying to get one back on just recently.

you may want to take it to an apple retail store, from what I understand they are trained in removing and fixing keys, as (from my limited reading) people have problems with their keyboard and the retail stores are expected to repair them.

so, if you don't want to risk break the keys(as I said, it is tricky) I'm sure they'd rearrange the keyboard to dvorak for you.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    i've done it.

It's ok. Just be careful when removing the keys though.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mike peelmike peel Posts: 185member
    Great, many thanks. AlBook is on its' way...

I've rearranged keyboards before a fair amount, so assuming they're the same method as the TiBook's were I should have no problems... *touch wood*.