Sprint DSL, new Powerbook, and trying to get the Wi-Fi up?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have my new Powerbook up and running on the Spring DSL modem. No problems there really.

However, for the life of me I can't seem to get my wireless network, a D-Link DI-614+ wireless router box, up on the DSL so that I can connect through it.

I can hook my computer network cable to the router and then from that to the DSL modem and get online, but I can't seem to hook the routher to the DSL modem so that I can get online wirelessly.

Is anyone familiar enough with the settings for the router that could lead me to some things to check on to help with this connection?

I've actually gone through the steps that D-Link gives on their website to hook the router up to DSL to no avail.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I don't know if this applies to DSL, but when I got my cable modem it worked for me. Apparently the modems are on DHCP from the central office, and they cache the MAC address of whatever device you plug into them. When I first got my cable modem, I plugged my laptop into the network port of the cable modem and it worked. However, when I plugged in my basestation it didn't work. The router at the cable company had cached the MAC address of my laptop, and only that device would work until the cache was cleared. Someone told me to plug in the wireless basestation, and leave connected for 8 hours or so, giving the router time to clear its cache. That worked, my basestation got a DHCP address lease from the cable modem.

I don't know how clear that is, but it sounds like you may have the same problem with your modem only wanting to talk to one device.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    jessearljessearl Posts: 103member
    5 minutes after I got my new Powerbook out of the box I had it up on my wireless router which was then connected to a cable modem. Since then I've moved and now I have DSL.

Do you think it would be possible to reset my DSL modem and/or my wireless router and achieve the same effect?

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Beardsley

I don't know if this applies to DSL, but when I got my cable modem it worked for me. Apparently the modems are on DHCP from the central office, and they cache the MAC address of whatever device you plug into them. When I first got my cable modem, I plugged my laptop into the network port of the cable modem and it worked. However, when I plugged in my basestation it didn't work. The router at the cable company had cached the MAC address of my laptop, and only that device would work until the cache was cleared. Someone told me to plug in the wireless basestation, and leave connected for 8 hours or so, giving the router time to clear its cache. That worked, my basestation got a DHCP address lease from the cable modem.

I don't know how clear that is, but it sounds like you may have the same problem with your modem only wanting to talk to one device.