Force DVD into widescreen?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is there any way to force a standard ratio letterboxed DVD to play at maximum width on a widescreen display?

You could do it in OS 9 by switching resolution while DVD player was active, but this never worked in OS X.

Maybe this can be done through an alternate DVD player app like VLC?

Considering the abundance of Mac models and Apple display models with widescreen orientation, this would appear to be a no-brainer. There are a lot of standard orientation letterboxed DVD titles around. Shouldn't there be a DVD player app that has such a feature built-in?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    The DVD's aren't Anamorphic (16x9 enhanced).
  • Reply 2 of 13
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    VLC has a crop filter, and then u can full screen from there

not sure how well the filter works though.

if you manually set the demensions to crop it should work, that will take some tweaking. The auto setting does strange thigns to darker scenes
  • Reply 3 of 13
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I too would appreciate anamorphic widescreen support. This would increase the resolution on my TV when VGA is passed through an external scan converter.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

The Mac OS X DVD Player.app has Anamorphic Widescreen support. What it doesn't have is standard-to-widescreen support.

Really? How do you get it to output anamorphic widescreen? I've only seen masked widescreen output.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I see what you're saying. Unfortunately, that's not what I'm looking for.

I'd like widescreen output, not 4:3 output with masking bars. That way, when outputing to a widescreen capable device, vertical resolution wouldn't be wasted on black bars. With my scan converter I have relatively low resolution output via S-video. By outputing anamorphic widescreen, all of the data sent over the interconnects would be for picture content.
  • Reply 6 of 13

(OS X 10.7.5) I thought I had this problem because the previews were giving me the black bars all around but once the actual movie started playing it expanded out to the edges. I'm using the DVD Player App version 5500.26.11.