Further Q on Apple keyboard + WIndows

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I read in a Jan 2002 thread that the Apple USB keyboad works fine on Windows PCs. My questions are:-

1. Which Apple USB keyboard, exactly? There are those with the USB ports at the sides, and those with them at the back. Would they both work, and given a choice, which is more comfortable?

2. Do the Function keys (all 15-16 of them)on the Apple keyboard work too? If not, is there software to map them to work?

I hate all the windows keyboards that I've used, and tried out the Apple one, which I love, at a Apple shop. Feels great, looks gorgeous, but how compatible is it?

Many thanks in advance,

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    My friend uses the Pro (not BT) Keyboard, and it works fine on his computer.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    I've occasionally used my Apple Pro Keyboard on my boss's Dell, and it works without any hassles (as does my Apple mouse)? but I'm not a l33t enough Windows user to bother using the Ctrl, Alt or Windows keys, or the function keys, so I can't comment on whether they'd work.

Why don't you borrow a mate's laptop, rock into the store and just try it out? I'm sure they won't mind.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Yes I tried that, but the Apple shop I went into didn't have the Apple Pro keyboard, but some other one without "pro" on it (this is Malaysia), and the page up/down keys didn't work, function keys didn't work but all other did. Then read that the someone said the Pro works fine, implying ALL keys work.

I gues I'll have to find an apple shop with a Pro keyboard.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Quote:

Originally posted by staphbaby

I've occasionally used my Apple Pro Keyboard on my boss's Dell, and it works without any hassles (as does my Apple mouse)? but I'm not a l33t enough Windows user to bother using the Ctrl, Alt or Windows keys, or the function keys, so I can't comment on whether they'd work.

Why don't you borrow a mate's laptop, rock into the store and just try it out? I'm sure they won't mind.

• Reply 4 of 7
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Originally posted by andrewleesh

Yes I tried that, but the Apple shop I went into didn't have the Apple Pro keyboard, but some other one without "pro" on it (this is Malaysia), and the page up/down keys didn't work, function keys didn't work but all other did. Then read that the someone said the Pro works fine, implying ALL keys work.

I gues I'll have to find an apple shop with a Pro keyboard.

Many thanks,

Andrew

I don't like your chances ? they don't make the "Pro" keyboard we're talking about any more. The only keyboards they make are the wired one you saw, and an identical looking one which uses bluetooth for its connectivity.

Googling throws up this, which might be helpful, and this.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    NO wonder they didn't have the PRO keyboard in the shop when I asked. Odd that the newer k'boards seem to be less compatible with Windows. I guess its on to Ebay for me, then. Do you find the newer k'boards have a better feel than the PRO? (I know its subjective)

And thanks v much also for the links to the mapping software.

Andrew

[QUOTE]Originally posted by staphbaby

[B]I don't like your chances ? they don't make the "Pro" keyboard we're talking about any more. The only keyboards they make are the wired one you saw, and an identical looking one which uses bluetooth for its connectivity.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I've used the USB Pro and the new, USB Keyboard for the G5 with PC's. Both work fine in all respects.

clear -> num lock

control -> control

option -> alt

Command -> windows

Of course, I hacked the registry on my PC and swapped the control and Command keys, so that I can hit Command-C and copy, etc, rather than control-C.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Thanks for that, Splinemodel. Can you tell me the model/product no. of the keyboard for the G5, and where in teh registry to do that, and what exactly to do?

I hv been into the Reg. to change things, but only with explicit instructions from PC magazines at my side.

Thanks again,

Andrew

PS I'm curious, why 'Splinemodel'?

Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I've used the USB Pro and the new, USB Keyboard for the G5 with PC's. Both work fine in all respects.

clear -> num lock

control -> control

option -> alt

Command -> windows

Of course, I hacked the registry on my PC and swapped the control and Command keys, so that I can hit Command-C and copy, etc, rather than control-C.