Jobs Keynote (Wishful Thinking)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was thinking about this and I think that this would be the best news possible and the best speech to present that news:

JOBS: I know most of you were expecting new Power Macs at Mac Expo in Jan. but no they were not shown. Then many thought that they might show in March or April, but no they did not. Well here at WWDC, we are bucking that trend. We are presenting to you new Power Macs. (Audience would obviously aplause.) As most of you know we promised you Dual 3GH Power Mac G5s. Well, I am afraid we were not able to do so. Our engineering team could not design the Dual 3GH Power Mac G5. But instead we have the new revamped Dual 4GH Power Mac G5. (Stunned Audience, Rockets, Exxplosions, Mass Screaming.)

Well maybe the speach could be touched up a little, but I think that would really put Apple at the top. Unfortunately its not going to happen, and we might not even get dual 3gh but for now we can hope, right?

-MacRules101

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    safarixsafarix Posts: 18member
    best. post. ever.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    occamoccam Posts: 54member
    I'd be delighted with dual 3.0GHz (Power5 derived) 975's.

Do the calculations.

Before: 2x2.0 = 4.0GHz speed.

After: 2x3.0x1.3(power5 hyperthreading factor: 1.2-1.4) = 8.0GHz speed

I.e., double-speed in one keynote!

Add in PCI-X graphics, appropriate bandwidth memory, 8x dual layer superdrive, 4+ h/d bays, continued silent operation (quiet fans), and a heavy-hitting best-of-breed graphics card(s) from ATI and/or nVidia (games, etc.).

That would be a ballsy intro and Apple would then have game again.

Cheers.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Jobs: "we're taking orders right now."

Translation: "we're still 3 months away from delivery"
  • Reply 4 of 19
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Jobs: "we're taking orders right now."

Translation: "we're still 3 months away from delivery"

And then Virginia Tech will cause an additional 3 month delay = 6 months
  • Reply 5 of 19
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    The one thing I think everyone will agree on is that Steve J will want to have a very powerful keynote. This first means do very good news for developers, including Tiger, developer's tools, etc.

Then comes hardware and Steve has the potential of blowing everyone's minds.

1. "We said 3 gig and we are announcing it today, for delivery in the fall. We're taking orders as of today. By the way, it will not only be 3 gigs, but also 3.2 gigs."

2. "Some people want more power TODAY so we are announcing 90 nm G5 PMs for shipment TODAY at speeds of 2.4, 2.6 and 2.8 gigs. All dual, but also available with a single G5 in the 2.4."

3. "People have been waiting for the next generation G5 iMac - well, here it is. Single processor G5's at 2.2, 2.4 and 2.6."

4. "I've caught a LOT of flack since the last WWDC when I said '3 gigs in a year' so I'm not going to say anything about next year,

IBM Vice President walks on stage and says "dual processor chips at 4 gigs in a year". IBM Vice President walks off stage.

5. "iPod minis are blowing out the door and we want the iPods to sell at that level - so here is the 60 gig iPod with a color screen. Everyone here who PAID to attend gets to take one home".

6. "Oh, and one more thing - let's talk about displays . . ."

I think that would pretty well take care of things, unless the G5 PB will ship in the fall.

Hope Steve J adds an hour to his keynote . . .
  • Reply 6 of 19
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Quote:

[...]All dual, but also available with a single G5 in the 2.4."

Hopefully starting at <$1000.

Who wants to bet the iMac shows up with a new anodized aluminum enclosure, available in five colors?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SafariX

best. post. ever.

The speech will be one to remember. I suggest watching it at all costs. It will be
  • Reply 8 of 19
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I wonder if they already have 3Ghz chips, if they'd even use them right away. That's an awfully big leap from 2Ghz to 3Ghz in one update. Maybe they'd give themselves some cushion by not going all the way to 3 in one fell swoop.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/

I wonder when the discussion will begin about where we can find a stream?
  • Reply 10 of 19
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I wonder if they already have 3Ghz chips, if they'd even use them right away. That's an awfully big leap from 2Ghz to 3Ghz in one update. Maybe they'd give themselves some cushion by not going all the way to 3 in one fell swoop.

Don't come up with BS excuses. If they have them they will sell them. It's worse for SJ, and IBM to loose face by not getting the 3GHz PowerMacs out by WWDC than it is to not make a GHz jump because it a big one. GHz isn't that big of a word anymore, and even if it was it wouldn't matter.

But that has nothing to do with it. If they have them yes they will use them right away.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Who was it that came up with those groovy countdown GIFs with the Golden Gate Bridge on them to the WWDC last year? I think we need those again.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    hopeful thinking would be not to expect a MHz DOWNgrade at WWDC...ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce the new top end 1.8GHz Dual machine...
  • Reply 13 of 19
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Back in your late Moto era box. I hope...
  • Reply 14 of 19
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

Gee, a smaller jump than a 1.0 G4 to a 2.0 G5, especially percentage wise, and adding a completely new architecture. I think that argument just whimpered itself out.

Gee, the high-end PowerMac G4 at the time the G5s were introduced was 1.42Ghz, not 1.0 Ghz.

Sure, if they have a full load of 3 Ghz chips with no supply constraints, they should sell them. But I doubt that's going to happen. IBM had some unforeseen problems, making their 3 Ghz prediction difficult or impossible to meet. Given the option of "meeting a prediction" by announcing them and then being able to sell them in quantity for several months, I think they'd be smarter to make an immediate but smaller bump now and then in 5-6 months make the jump to (or past) 3 Ghz.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

But I doubt that's going to happen. IBM had some unforeseen problems, making their 3 Ghz prediction difficult or impossible to meet. Given the option of "meeting a prediction" by announcing them and then being able to sell them in quantity for several months, I think they'd be smarter to make an immediate but smaller bump now and then in 5-6 months make the jump to (or past) 3 Ghz.

The conventional wisdom among the rumor mill - and indirectly from IBM and Apple at various investor speeches, I believe - is that Apple intended to bump the G5 PMacs in the Spring. IBM's fabrication problems nixed that upgrade.

The rumor mill fueled by a few IBM publications (see the Trinity thread) now believes that the next generation G5, the PPC 975, has been developed in parallel with the 90nm 970fx chips. i.e. The two are not dependent on each other in any way - except maybe the general 90nm yield problem may apply to both.

So, assuming IBM has fixed their 90nm problems - and I think they've said they have - there is nothing keeping Apple from announcing 3GHz machines with a new processor in them. The 90nm problem will have affected the faster 970fx chips just as much as the 975 chips, so there is no reason to do a small bump vs a big bump.

So goes the theory anyway.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    And this POS thread still isn't locked?
  • Reply 18 of 19
    xsmixsmi Posts: 139member
    I know that watching inventory levels is not a good way of predictingproduct refreshes. However, something is defintely going on. On Apple's web site Dual 2's special configs have a 4 to 6 week wait. On my favorite sight to check inventory (macmall) The inventory has run from double digits (46 units i think) to about half what they were all of March and April. The way it looks whatever is announced at WWDC will ship immediately. Here's to hoping!!!
  • Reply 19 of 19
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.