Starting Classic on 10.3.4?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
When I try to load up Classic, I get the following error message:

There is a problem with updating the Classic-specific files.

Classic was unable to update its files in "System Folder" on "Macintosh HD".

???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    we are going to need a few things... first of all, what system are you running (hardware)

I just tested classic on my machine (first time after upgrading to 10.3.4, it is a non-airport extreme system with a stock 9.2.2+ install which worked in 10.3.3) and it worked fine... it DID have to update some files tho... (they were part of the 10.3.4 update)

have you repair permissions recently? (instructions are in the sticky at the top of the Genius Bar, where this post should be moved) after upgrading? before upgrading?

try to repair permissions and then start classic... if you are still having trouble maybe you should just wipe it and install a fresh version...

do you have a stock classic install or do you have special settings? if so, what are they?

can you boot your machine into classic? (only works on non-airport extreme machines...)

I'm assuming it worked fine in 10.3.3... when was the last time you ran classic?

post back with some more information...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to Genius Bar...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ganondorfganondorf Posts: 573member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

we are going to need a few things... first of all, what system are you running (hardware)

iBook, 1 GHz PowerPC G4, 640 MB DDR SDRAM

Quote:

I just tested classic on my machine (first time after upgrading to 10.3.4, it is a non-airport extreme system with a stock 9.2.2+ install which worked in 10.3.3) and it worked fine... it DID have to update some files tho... (they were part of the 10.3.4 update)

I do have an Airport Extreme installed, if this is relevant.

Quote:

have you repair permissions recently? (instructions are in the sticky at the top of the Genius Bar, where this post should be moved) after upgrading? before upgrading?

try to repair permissions and then start classic... if you are still having trouble maybe you should just wipe it and install a fresh version...

I had not repaired permissions before upgrading from 10.3.3 to 10.3.4. After reading this, I repaired permissions, and I still got the same error message when loading Classic.

Quote:

do you have a stock classic install or do you have special settings? if so, what are they?

can you boot your machine into classic? (only works on non-airport extreme machines...)

I believe it's stock. It came installed with Panther on my iBook when I got it.

Obviously, the answer to the second question is no.

Quote:

I'm assuming it worked fine in 10.3.3... when was the last time you ran classic?

post back with some more information...

Yes, it worked perfectly in 10.3.3.

(EDIT: nix what I said about World Book. I ran an updater for that and fixed it.)
  • Reply 4 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    ok there should be a system restore DVD that came with your iBook and on the front of it it should say classic installer or something like that on it...

insert that cd, trash the current system folder re-install it off the cd and then go to the classic pref pane to select the new system folder...

it should then update classic to work in 10.3.4 and you should be all set

remember to repair permissions after doing all of this...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    Holy sh*t, I just launched Classic for the first time since updating to 10.3.4 because of this thread...Is it me, or does Classic seem faster?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Very much so. Nice.

Now takes 10 seconds on my Powerbook 1ghz.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    ganondorfganondorf Posts: 573member
    Still screwed.

1. I found a set of 5 System Restore discs. (or was it "Software restore"... oh well, you get the idea. it wasn't the Mac OS X discs)

2. I inserted 1 of 5, and it prompted me to install the System Restore app. I did.

3. It then guided me on what I wanted to install. I unchecked everything except for Classic Support.

4. It did its thing. (never prompted me to use any of the other discs)

5. I try to run Classic, and I get the same error described previously.

6. I go back and read your post.

7. I remember I forgot to manually trash the System Folder before I restored.

8. Try to trash OS9 System Folder, but can't. Mac OS X tells me the system uses it, so I can't trash it.