Interesting news release, speculation for future iPod release date

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
PortalPlayer announced back in Janurary technology that appears to support the capabilities that the new iPod purportedly will feature. http://www.portalplayer.com/news-and...to_jukebox.htm

Specualation back in April was that the new iPod might be released April 28, the anniversary of iTunes, which of course did not happen, though iTunes 4.5 was released on that date. The iPod Mini was released on Jan 6, though it was not shipped till Feb 17th. On March 25th Apple announced that the iPod Mini would be available World-Wide in July.

On June 3rd of 03, Apple announced the release of Quicktime 6.3; "...QuickTime 6.3 enables users to share high-quality video, audio and text on a new generation of wireless devices including cell phones and PDAs. QuickTime 6.3 delivers extensive support for the 3GPP standard, including Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) and Adaptive Multi-Rate (AMR) audio, MPEG-4 and H.263 video, 3G Text (TX3G) and native .3gp file format support.

June 28th is one month from the release of the iTunes annivereary and one year from the Quicktime 6.3 release that supports "portable" video encoding formats. One might speculate the the new ipod might be released on June 1st, the first business day after those anniversaries and the beginning of the summer season!?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Yes indeed, I did state old and obvious news, at least to the well read however, my point is a somewhat educated speculation based on the synthesis of available information. My speculation is simply that of a possible release date for the new, 4th Generation iPod having cited relevent news pertatining to the purported capabilities.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    andiandi Posts: 4member
    I still hope it will be announced the 7th of June since the Monster iCable offer (buy ipod rev3 now, get a free monster icable) ends the 6th. What's your take on it?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    The shipping time on minis has gone from 6 weeks to 4 weeks... but no change in the iPod (still same day).
  • Reply 5 of 6
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    My bet is at the WWDC - this allows Steve J to give every PAYING attendee one for free . . .

Developers would really like that.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Andi

I still hope it will be announced the 7th of June since the Monster iCable offer (buy ipod rev3 now, get a free monster icable) ends the 6th. What's your take on it?

Very interesting. Usually there is some sort of "deal", albeit discount or incentive on the previous generation unit within a month or so of the nextGen release. The iCable incentive is a rather trivial, if at all valid indicator from a 3rd party partner. Apple has confidential developer agreements with these partners not to reveal propietary hardware information or schedules however this suttle indicator may possibly the beginning of more to come.