Which is a better value? Mini or Regular?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have an oppritunity to get either an iPod mini or a regular one for free. My question is, from those of you that have both, which one would you choose over the other? I don't have 1000's of songs, but I would like to use it to transfer files from PC to PC. Should I just get the more expensive 15 GB one? (Yes, I will wait until the new ones come out...)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    VALUE? What kind of price do you put on cool-factor?

With that aside, the 15gb is no-doubt a better value, seeing as it's an additional 275% space for a mere $50.

- Xidius
  • Reply 2 of 8
    deunandeunan Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

I have an oppritunity to get either an iPod mini or a regular one for free. My question is, from those of you that have both, which one would you choose over the other? I don't have 1000's of songs, but I would like to use it to transfer files from PC to PC. Should I just get the more expensive 15 GB one? (Yes, I will wait until the new ones come out...)

The physical size difference may not seem like a big deal now, but it becomes something you 'need' after actually experiencing it. just a observation i've experienced. ... go with the mini

deunan
  • Reply 3 of 8
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    I agree with deunan. I've owned both the iPod and the Mini; now I only own the Mini. There's a big difference between fitting in your pocket and knowing that something is there, vs. not noticing. And besides, 4 GB is still a lot of storage.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member

For free! Well then definitely get the regular! What's better, a little smaller, or 15 wopping gigs. The difference in size is small compared to the change in storage! Imagine it like this: You could back up OS X on a mini. On a regular you could back up OS X, all your applications, and probably your Home folder unless you have a ridiculous amount of music and other data.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

(Yes, I will wait until the new ones come out...)

I think you might be waiting a while if you're expecting an update soon.

Get the iPod. The mini is cool, but you always need more storage. Just look at how internal hard drives have gotten larger and larger in the last few years.

More is better.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    iPod discussion belongs in Digital Hub. Pushing this thread backwards, over a chair, into the correct forum.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    deunandeunan Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

For free! Well then definitely get the regular! What's better, a little smaller, or 15 wopping gigs. The difference in size is small compared to the change in storage! Imagine it like this: You could back up OS X on a mini. On a regular you could back up OS X, all your applications, and probably your Home folder unless you have a ridiculous amount of music and other data.

see, it's suggestions like these which make you forget how physical-size really makes a huge difference when it comes down to mp3-players... i still think you should go with the mini---it has a cooler interface, and you find that you don't really need to have all 15Gb... i personally own 70 Gb of mp3's, and i find that i only listen to a fraction of them over and over consistently... the cool-factor is way through the roof with a mini, compared to a regular...

deunan
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I suggest going to ipodlounge.com

They are probobly the best ipod website i have seen and they just published a 5 part story on buying an ipod.

the first one shows a very compelling comparison of the two ipods and there is more advice on the subject on other parts of the site.