Re-installing os9 for classic

regreg
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
We had given our son an old laptop for school, iBook dual. When we did, we wiped the drive and and did a clean install of 10.3. Now he wants to play some games that only run in 9. They will play in classic but we did not install an version of OS 9 when we set up the system. Can we just install OS 9.2 from a disc? If so is there anything special we need to do before the install like partion the drive?

reg

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    As long as the OS 9 boot drivers are there (which are added when formatting the hard drive though a check box) you will have no problems. Insert OS 9 install disk and install. You can either bot from OS 9 or go into the System Prefs - Classic Prefs and chose your OS 9 volume.

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    all you have to do is copy a working system folder from another system... I'm sure you have a classic system folder around somewhere..
  • Reply 3 of 5
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I tried to install 9.2 but it did not allow me. I believe that the OS 9 drivers are not there. Is there any way of installing them after the fact? If not I guess my son will have to buy new games that are OS 10.

reg
  • Reply 4 of 5
    On your restore disk, there will be a restore program. Choose to install classic support. Then, install mac os 9. you might not have to install os 9, but i am not sure. i did before with applecare. i had the same issue - wanting to play os 9 only games.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Thanks that worked. The restore had everything that was required to get classic up and running. Now I will have to mow the lawn and trim the hedges myself.

reg