How much does fuel cost in your area?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey,

just read an article at nytimes.com (this one, requires free registration) about the "high" fuel prices in the U.S.. Funny how americans complain about the current prices (which are somewhere between 2$ and 2.50$ per gallon).

Funny? Yea, at least for someone from Germany. Over here a litre costs about 1 Euro 15 Cents, at the current exchange rate of ca. 1.22 this means a price of about 5.30 USD per gallon...

How much Euros (or Dollars) do you spent per litre (or gallon)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    $1.90

what you don't understand is that america is far far bigger than germany. To go see my family is a 6 hour drive at 70mph, and what used to cost 30$ to see my family now costs $60. Things are way way different over here than they are say than you. Its funny to think about it I guess. Some British people I've met thought it was a long trip to drive across GB and that it was about 4 hours?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Regular Unleaded (the cheap stuff) was $1.96 this morning and cost me $29 and some change to fill up my 99' Nissan, Maxima from 1/8 of a tank. It's really getting rediculous but $5.00 a gallon puts some perspective on things.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Press here in the UK are predicting 92p a litre. Im off to buy a bike and get fit (I was going to anyway).

What I don't understand in the UK - we are sure to have fuel blockades by the truckers - is why the government doesn't reduce tax on diesel by 10p for 6 months. They're taking extra tax on the petrol while the prices are high. For every 1p the refineries add to the price, the government adds an extra 4p. So they're not losing anything. Why shaft the backbone of the country?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    $2.59-2.79 /gallon

• Reply 5 of 16
    $2.06 regular
  • Reply 6 of 16
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I just filled up at Wal-Mart with the shopping card ($.03 off per gallon). $1.97 for premium (93 octane).
  • Reply 7 of 16
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I fear that the fuel will cost more in the next coming years. There is an high demand coming from the emerging countries of asia, like China . This problem will not be reversed soon.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Yes, I agree. The truckers really need a helping hand at this point, or things will only snowball thereon down the chain. Then, "We", the consumer will be complaining about a whole lot more than just gas prices. I still feel compelled to complain about gas prices for the time being, though. Aaaagh! $2.30+ for regular where I'm at.

For you European types out there ( ), I think it would be helpful to note the total cost of a full tank on your cars vs. our cars, not just unit cost. (This is a similar reflection on the earlier point made about relative trip distances between here and there.) Your unit costs may be higher, but if both of us are paying about the same for a full tank to go to the places we need to for a given time period, then it is still a kick in the nootz.

A near capacity fill-up for me costs me about $22-$28 (depending on unit prices for the week), and that usually lasts for just over a week. I really hate this... Can we invade somebody for some instant cheap oil, already?! (just a joke, people- calm down) How'bout Alaska? Anybody?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I just filled up at Wal-Mart with the shopping card ($.03 off per gallon). $1.97 for premium (93 octane).

Damn, that's sick! When did Wal-Mart start selling fuel? I hope that feature comes out here sometime, cuz I can sure use a bit of that action!

Is there an annual fee for the card, and does the fuel savings still "pan-out" even accounting for that?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    98.5 cents Canadian per litre. Anyone wanna do the USD/gal conversion?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    There is a couple of giant gazeous planets in our solar system. Time to go there and to catch some gazillions of methane
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

There is a couple of giant gazeous planets in our solar system. Time to go there and to catch some gazillions of methane

I passed by a cow pasture up near Bakersfield that generated some pretty severe "methane". Eckkk!
  • Reply 13 of 16
    If anyone has a Sams Club in their area the Bulk Wal-Mart, they usually have the cheapest Gas you will find by about $.10-$.15 for regular which puts it at about $1.80 a Gallon in this area. just a heads up.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    What's their annual fee?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

What's their annual fee?

Oops I probably should have added that. I think my wife pays $35.00 a year for membership but its well worth it in my opinion (even before you get to the Petro prices)
  • Reply 16 of 16
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    No fee at Wal-Mart. Just go inside and get a reloadable shopping card and use it at the pump. Or you can get the Wal-Mart Visa card which will do the same thing.

That's the gag, they get you to go inside the store, where you suddenly see everything ever offered for sale in the hopes that in your 5 minute journey inside to save $.45 (actually more since Wal-Mart has the cheapest gas in the area usually) on your fill-up you notice a yummy candy bar or a piece of shit rock polisher.