High Speed Internet

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi

I am currently looking into switching from AOHell dial-up to a high speed connection. I was wondering what experiences people have had with DSL vs. Cable and for those in the New England area (southcoast MA for me) the experiences they've had with individual companies & services. The best deal I've seen so far is Verizon DSL @ $29.95/month with a free wireless router after rebate.

Thanks kindly for any input,

dan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I left Comcast and it's "Supposed" 3Mbps cable line for Verizon 4-5 months ago. Haven't missed a thing. My DSL feels just as fast when surfing and I've never been down with DSL. My comcast was down for 3 days once and I frequently had brownout of 2hrs.

So my history has seen me have Cable Modems twice and in both times it was markedly less reliable than DSL.

I'm not going back to Cable unless it's my only option. Hell Cable used to be the "cheap" option if you didn't want pay the price for DSL. Now that comcast has taken over $45 Cable Bills are now 10-15 more per month than the Baby Bell DSL packages.

Comcast you ARE the weakest link. Goodbye.

Note: this isn't a rant against comcast. I would have kept their service had I not had so many problems for my $46.21 per month. Now I'm happily on verizon and paying 34.99 a month and getting laughs every week when Comcast sends me placards claiming to be 4x faster than DSL.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    I know this isn't the case for everybody, but I reliably get ~2.7Mbit from comcast and down to 20ms pings for $25/month. No service outages yet.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Many good online articles comparing the two. Boils down to this.

http://www.fact-sheets.com/internet-.../dsl_vs_cable/

If you want your own 'dedicated' line, but at a higher cost, get DSL.

If you want a shared medium, with higher tendencies of failure, a theoretical higher speed (depending on the sharing), and lower cost, then go with Cable. -jw