G3 iBook lid problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My sons's iBook started going to sleep whenever the lid is opened at an angle GREATER than about 75 degrees (just short of vertical). It makes it very difficult to use and is out of warranty.

Any ideas? It almost acts as though something is loose.

TIA,

Chas

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Does the iBook actually go to sleep (i.e. the hard disk spins down and the pulsating sleep light comes on)? Or is it just that the screen goes black (i.e. you can still see the screen image, if ever so faintly)?

On my iBook G3/500, the cable that powers the LCD backlight was cut in the hinge only a few months out of warranty. The $300 cost of the repair, essentially the replacement of a single cable inside the hinge, was a major bummer. But the iBook has worked flawlessly ever since.

C.T.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    macmediamacmedia Posts: 152member
    Turkey,

the iBook doesn't go to sleep, it just goes Black. That's going to suck if it cost $300 to fix. It's almost 3 years old.

Thanks,

Chas
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Chas: It doesn't hurt to ask Apple. But it sound like you have exactly the same problem as I did. The problem was widespread (see this thread on the Apple Discussion Boards: Screen goes black!). Unfortunately, Apple never acknowledged this obvious design defect and thus it's a paid repair. You can also try to search AI for "iBook and backlight" to find previous threads.

If you are indeed looking at a $300 repair, you should consider selling the broken iBook on eBay and buying a new iBook to replace it.

C.T.

PS: I just had a look at the Apple Discussions again, and apparently some users have been able to buy a Reed switch (which is the part that includes the pinched cable) and replace it themselves. But that wouldn't be for the faint of heart.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Also have a look at this thread on the Apple Discussions board. It's fresh from today and shows that the design problem is still there.

I cannot believe Apple still has not acknowledged this obvious design defect! There should be a free repair program just like with the logic boards. I want the $300 I spent on the repair back!

C.T.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    macmediamacmedia Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cold Turkey

Also have a look at this thread on the Apple Discussions board. It's fresh from today and shows that the design problem is still there.

I cannot believe Apple still has not acknowledged this obvious design defect! There should be a free repair program just like with the logic boards. I want the $300 I spent on the repair back!

C.T.

Thanks for the info. Now I'm debating about whether to try a fix myself or not. That's a lot of sh*t to be taking apart. Did read that Small Dog has the replacment cable and will do the repair for around $150.

Chas
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macmedia

Did read that Small Dog has the replacment cable and will do the repair for around $150.

I have a weak stomach (metaphorically speaking), so having Small Dog replace the cable for half what Apple charges sounds like a perfect compromise. Wish that option had been available when I had the problem 18 months ago.

Opening up the iBook yourself could save you $100+, but it's not an easy task and involves more risk. If you do choose the DIY road and fail, you can always sell the iBook for parts and buy a newer one, like I suggested above.

C.T.