whatwill we wwd-see?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
PREDICTIONS>>>

WHat will Steve announce?

when will it ship?

MY input:

Tiger in Feb

new G5 dual2.0,2.5, and 3.0 - ships in Aug.

Xserves updated to 3 ghz

new monitors same time as PM update

thats all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Glad there is another prediction thread started.

We have been lacking these lately.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    My predictions

Tiger

ships October

Powermac G5

all duals

2.6 Ghz,2.8 Ghz, and 3.0 Ghz

ships September

Imac G5

1.8 Ghz, 2.0 Ghz, and 2.2 Ghz

ships immediately
  • Reply 3 of 22
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    Tiger ships "early next year" (true)

PowerMac G5's ship in "August" (lie)

Dual 2.2/2.6/3.0 (975 chips... actually a refinement of the 970 still based on power4+)

PCI express with ATI X800 XT *crosses finger*

New aluminum displays with thin bezel (up to 30inch)

iMac G5's ship "immediately" (somewhat true)

1.6-1.8 (970fx)

17 and 20 inch displays only

Some kind of ATI 9600

Wild Cards: Apple Digital Camera and a Word Processor based on OpenOffice

no iPod, XServe, iBoxes, tablets or portable updates.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    my prediction is there will be at least 10 more of these pointless threads until a new product surfaces...
  • Reply 5 of 22
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    What the hell is "wwd-see"?

IBL.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by G-News

my prediction is there will be at least 10 more of these pointless threads until a new product surfaces...

Oh boo-hoo... they are fun. And don't forget that the large majority of threads (arguably all) on the future hardware board are actually "pointless". Although by my definition... there is a point to having fun, and fun is what i had when I pulled predictions out of my proverbial ass.

Almost no one here really knows anything. Those who do probably aren't talking. Want this thread to fade away?... all you can do is ignore it.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Very Clever... IMHO
  • Reply 8 of 22
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

It was a play on words...er um...abbreviations ... I mean acronyms...yea, acronyms.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    derekderek Posts: 50member
    Ive seen alot of you guys saying that the iMac will have a G5 and ship imediatly.. which IMO sounds right.. Im just wondering what you think it will cost? same or higher? please specify Currency.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    iMac usually isn't a developers computer of choice AFAIK. It's usually a PowerMac, and or a PowerBook. I don't think WWDC will see an iMac, but I imagine it will get updated before, or more likely shortly there after. Maybe a press conference, or a quiet update. Chances are the Processor speeds will be the same as it is now if it is a G5, but I doubt it will be a higher clocked processor. It might even get a lower clock speed.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    copy42copy42 Posts: 1member
    What about a G5 Newton or the chamelion ibook? Its also about time for the holo display to hit the world... http://forums.appleinsider.com/newre...hreadid=42760#
  • Reply 12 of 22
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    PowerMacs Tuesday, iMacs and PowerBooks at WWDC.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Derek

Ive seen alot of you guys saying that the iMac will have a G5 and ship imediatly.. which IMO sounds right..

Perhaps you have not noticed that the XServe G5 has still a 4-6 weeks estimated shipping time, even in single CPU configurations, which means that IBM has still yield problems. How you imagine they would handle XServes and Power Macs and iMacs, with new G5s in all of them, when the new 90 nm G5s are found only in the XServe right now and with such shipping times?

It is not impossible to see a G5 iMac soon, but it wouldn't ship immediately. However, I expect more a G4 @ 1.5 GHz (like in the Powerbooks) than a G5 for the next iMac iteration, simply because of the yield issues IBM continue to face. iMacs going G5 by the end of the year seems to me more reasonable.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

It was a play on words...er um...abbreviations ... I mean acronyms...yea, acronyms.

Wow, if that was intentional then I apologize. I'm so used to the mangling of the English language around here I assumed it was gibberish.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    I realize this is very much OT, but at least it's something we haven't heard 100x before: The English standard in this forum is rather high compared to other places, believe me. I'm an administrator in 2 and an active poster in 4 more forums around the world, some German, some English and in most of them, language sometimes barely fulfills the purpose of making yourself understood...

The mods here can really rejoice (they should, rather), concerning language standards here.

Btw, I make this observation every time "older" "Mac-Users" have a conversation. Seems to be a general educational advantage over the mob
  • Reply 16 of 22
    macenzomacenzo Posts: 18member
    here s what we will see

talk about recently released software (motion - shake)

talk about iapplications (garageband 1.5)

.mac (new features)

quicktime 7

tiger preview (ships early 2005)

itunes and ipod (itunes europe & canada & japan)

new iMac G5 (1.6 1.8 2.0)

new Powermacs ( 2.4 DP2.6 DP2.8 )

new displays (all widescreen)
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Perhaps you have not noticed that the XServe G5 has still a 4-6 weeks estimated shipping time, even in single CPU configurations, which means that IBM has still yield problems. How you imagine they would handle XServes and Power Macs and iMacs, with new G5s in all of them, when the new 90 nm G5s are found only in the XServe right now and with such shipping times?

Well assuming that the rumors of apple making secret off the books XServe sales to the US government aren't true (meaning yields are the real problem)... i believe this is why the iMac will actually only ship with single 1.6/1.8 (which IBM will have slightly better yields on, and could have been stockpiling for a little while). The immediate shipping might only be in very limited quantities too.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    I'll give in and give you my take on the situation too:

WWDC: If the iMac is indeed going to be overhauled totally, ie, in form factor too, it's going to be done at WWDC.

That would also mean that the PowerMac would only be a slightly changed iteration. 2 brand new hardware products on one WWDC is a no-no.

However, I suspect that the iMac is going to be speed bumped only, to ~1.5GHz G4, making it another 6 months of terribly sales because of terrible value.

PowerMacs will be _announced_ at up to 3GHz, but won't ship before October at the earliest, maybe being "delayed" as far as January. This way Steve-O can keep his promise, while not actually keeping his promise, if you know what I mean.

Then there will be the usual software stuff and probably a more professional, or absolutely professional Music tool a-la Garageband.

No news on the Powerbook front for at least another 3 months, same for iBooks.

iPod up to 60GB.

Launch of ITMS in Europe.

Depending on what is going to be overhauled, the speed-bumped only product might appear a few days/weeks after WWDC in a quiet update. Or, as has been said, might be released tomorrow. (which makes a lot of sense to me)
  • Reply 19 of 22
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    I agree with the following posted earlier:

Tiger

ships October

Powermac G5

all duals

2.6 Ghz,2.8 Ghz, and 3.0 Ghz

ships September

Imac G5

1.8 Ghz, 2.0 Ghz (no 2.2 Ghz version)

ships immediately

New Displays

17" Widescreen LCD with Aluminum Enclosure

23"

30"

New Product

iHome

Bridges iPhoto, iTunes, ITMS, iMovie and more into your TV.

New platform for Developers

Allows PURCHASE of music through TV interface.

Perhaps integration or cooperation with Tivo or similar functions.

Preparation for Video OD services through ITMS.

Ovations, Applause, Tears...
  • Reply 20 of 22
    aemvaemv Posts: 11member
    Powermac G5 2.6 - 2.8 - 3.0ghz all Dual with 1-1.5ghz FSB. PCIe, Firewireless, RAID capable, new Super Drive.

New Apple Cinema Displays 17 - 23 - 30

New Video Capable iPod 20 - 40 - 60GB.

New iMac G5 1.6 - 1.8 - 2.0GHZ