iBook and WiFi

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I recently purchased a 14" 1Ghz G4 iBook to complement my Cube which although aesthetically beautiful and stunning in its own regard, was beginning to lack the power and portability that I currently desired.

I have never needed airport or WiFi before, but now that I have become accustom to the portability of the iBook, I find myself desiring the fellowship of wireless internet to accommodate. I have never researched the differences in technologies, and my interest always strayed when reading news and posts that were related. That is why I now look to my fellow Mac zealots. I hope that you can be of help.

My pockets are all drained, and even with the advent of Airport Express and its refreshingly lower price, I cannot afford the likes of Airport. Yet, I still dream of WiFi.

My internet provider is currently offering wireless modems, and WiFi cards for a one time fee of $20.00. I have checked and it is 802.11g as per my wishes. The service itself is only $5.00 more a month over its current costs. Being from a small town, I did expect the questionable dead response when inquiring about the compatibility of the cards with a Macintosh notebook. As it seems that it will be quite some time before I get a response, I am hoping that maybe a few of you can quell a few of my questions.

I am aware that not all WiFi cards are the same and that not all will work with Mac. Are there any that I should steer away from? Which cards are compatible with my iBook? Are there different size cards, and if yes, which do I need?

I know that as questions are answered, I will have more. So, If anyone could take the time to explain the ins and outs and intricacies of WiFi as it pertains to the Mac, I would be much appreciative.

Thanks to all.

MacMorsel

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Well, since you have an iBook, you're basically stuck with one option: the Apple Airport Extreme card. There's no third-party cards that will fit into the Airprot Extreme slot, and I don't think any USB Wi-Fi adpater is compatible with the iBook (though it'd be nice to know that there was some such option).

Apple occasionally sells refurbished Airport Extreme cards for $79, which may be out of your price range. As far as the wireless routers (which is what I think you meant, although there are some combo modem/wi-fi routers out in the market), you can pick up any 802.11g router for maybe $60 (i.e. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=pc&n=507846 ), and not pay any extra monthly fees to your internet provider.

If you have the money upfront to pay for those two items, then you'd be able to setup your own wireless network with your existing hi-speed connection for around $140.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Well, since you have an iBook, you're basically stuck with one option: the Apple Airport Extreme card. There's no third-party cards that will fit into the Airprot Extreme slot, and I don't think any USB Wi-Fi adpater is compatible with the iBook (though it'd be nice to know that there was some such option).

Apple occasionally sells refurbished Airport Extreme cards for $79, which may be out of your price range. As far as the wireless routers (which is what I think you meant, although there are some combo modem/wi-fi routers out in the market), you can pick up any 802.11g router for maybe $60 (i.e. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=pc&n=507846 ), and not pay any extra monthly fees to your internet provider.

If you have the money upfront to pay for those two items, then you'd be able to setup your own wireless network with your existing hi-speed connection for around $140.

Thanks MCQ! As I still haven't heard back from my internet provider, I am even more assured that it won't be compatible with my iBook. This is upsetting... I was hoping to be wireless by the weekend. Are you sure that none of the USB adapters work with the iBook, as this was my next option? Can anyone tell me, by experience or knowledge thereof, if you can purchase items off of Apples' site through an online bank check or account payment? This would be my only other option. Thanks for the help!!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Maybe these? #1 #2

Cheap router: HERE

If you are just using this for internet, 802.11b is plenty fast. File transfers will take a little longer but hey, that's what I use and I can wait the extra minute.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

As I still haven't heard back from my internet provider, I am even more assured that it won't be compatible with my iBook.

If you get an AirPort Extreme card, it'll work with a wireless modem. 802.11g (Airport Extreme) is backwards compatible with 802.11b (plain old Airport). Both are significantly faster than most domestic internet connections.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    macmorselmacmorsel Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Maybe these? #1 #2

Cheap router: HERE

If you are just using this for internet, 802.11b is plenty fast. File transfers will take a little longer but hey, that's what I use and I can wait the extra minute.

Wow! Ebby, Thanks... I appreciate the time and effort that you put forth to help a fellow Mac user!! If only the whole world could help each other like the Mac community does.

I liked the EZ Connect g 2.4GHz 54 Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter from the second link. I would've bought it when I went to the site, but unfortunately I don't have a CC. If only more online stores would allow you to purchase with an online check or bank transfer, or even PayPal for that matter, then I believe that more people would begin to buy online.

Thanks for everyones help!! At least I know that I do have some options other than Airport for my iBook.

Mac Users are Awesome!!! I'm proud to be one.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    paypal is evil ( www.paypalwarning.com )
  • Reply 7 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Well, that may not be much of an excuse. Also you can request a catalog. I have bought from this site (my first online purchase actually) and I am just now getting into the "buy online" trend.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

The D-Link DWL-122 Wireless USB Adapter should work for your iBook. It's only 802.11b, but still... it should work.