The New G5 PowerMacs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Both the American, English and Swedish Apple Stores have displayed graphics showing the specs of the new PowerMacs. Dual 2.5 GHz G5 processors with liquid cooling and 8x Superdrives. All the mentioned stores are down at the moment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 195
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Every Model Features Dual 64-bit Processors

CUPERTINO, Calif., June 9 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple(R) today

unveiled its new Power Mac(R) G5 desktop line with every model featuring dual

64-bit PowerPC G5 processors. The top model, featuring two 2.5 GHz processors,

the industry's fastest front-side bus running at 1.25 GHz per processor, and

advanced liquid cooling starts at $2,999. The entry model, featuring dual 1.8

GHz processors, starts at just $1,999.

"Our professional customers, across many creative and scientific markets,

have been impressed with the extraordinary performance of the dual processor

Power Mac G5 running Apple's Unix-based Mac OS X," said Philip Schiller,

Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "This new Power

Mac G5 line has dual processors in every model to deliver even higher

performance for our pro customers who need it."

Powered by the PowerPC G5 processor, the Power Mac G5 utilizes 64-bit

processing technology for memory expansion up to 8GB, and advanced 64-bit

computation while running existing 32-bit applications natively. The top of

the line Power Mac G5 now offers dual 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5 processors, each with

an independent 1.25 GHz front-side bus for an astounding bandwidth of up to

20 GBps. All Power Mac G5 systems ship with Mac OS(R) X version 10.3

"Panther," which in combination with the Power Mac G5 provides creative

professionals and scientists with computational power never before realized on

a desktop system.

The Power Mac G5 outperforms competing desktops on the market today and

ran significantly faster than 3.4 GHz Pentium 4 systems on performance tests

of the most popular applications for creative professionals and scientists,

including:

-- On a test of 45 commonly used actions, Adobe Photoshop ran almost twice

as fast on a dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5 than on a 3.4 GHz Pentium

4-based PC;

-- Logic Pro 6 on the dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5 played up to 138 more

tracks with reverbs (over four times more) than with Cubase SX on a 3.4

GHz Pentium 4-based PC; and

-- Final Cut Pro(R) HD running on a 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5 can run eight

streams of 8-bit SD video versus five streams on a dual 3.06 GHz

Xeon-based Avid workstation.

The Power Mac G5 line offers leading-edge expansion with dual 1.5 Gbps

serial ATA interfaces, the industry's fastest PCI-X interface technology and

AGP 8X Pro graphics. The Power Mac G5 comes standard with either the NVIDIA

GeForceFX 5200 Ultra or the ATI Radeon 9600 XT graphics card; the ATI Radeon

9800 XT high-performance graphics card is available as a build-to-order option

for incredible 3D design, visualization and gaming. All Power Mac G5 desktops

deliver industry-leading connectivity and high-performance I/O, including

Gigabit Ethernet, FireWire(R) 800 and FireWire 400 ports, three USB 2.0 ports,

optical digital audio input and output, built-in support for 54 Mbps

AirPort(R) Extreme wireless networking and an optional Bluetooth module.

Pricing & Availability

The dual 1.8 GHz and dual 2.0 GHz Power Mac G5 models are available now,

and the dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5 model is expected to be available in July

through the Apple Store(R) (http://www.apple.com), at Apple's retail stores and Apple

Authorized Resellers. The single 1.25 GHz Power Mac G4, with suggested retail

price of $1,299 (US), will no longer be in production and is available for

purchase while supplies last through the Apple Store (http://www.apple.com), at

Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

The Power Mac G5, with a suggested retail price of $1,999 (US), includes:

-- Dual 1.8 GHz 64-bit PowerPC G5;

-- 256MB 400 MHz 128-bit DDR SDRAM (4GB maximum);

-- 80GB Serial ATA 7200 rpm hard drive;

-- AGP 8X Pro graphics slot;

-- NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra with 64MB DDR SDRAM;

-- 3 PCI slots (64-bit, 33 MHz); and

-- 8x SuperDrive(TM) (DVD-R/CD-RW).

The Power Mac G5, with a suggested retail price of $2,499 (US), includes:

-- Dual 2.0 GHz 64-bit PowerPC G5;

-- 512MB 400 MHz 128-bit DDR SDRAM (8GB maximum);

-- 160GB Serial ATA 7200 rpm hard drive;

-- NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra with 64MB DDR SDRAM;

-- 3 PCI-X slots (one 64-bit 133 MHz, two 64-bit 100 MHz); and

--8x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW).

The Power Mac G5, with a suggested retail price of $2,999 (US), includes:

-- Dual 2.5 GHz 64-bit PowerPC G5;

-- 512MB 400 MHz 128-bit DDR SDRAM (8GB maximum);

-- 160GB Serial ATA 7200 rpm hard drive;

-- ATI RADEON 9600 XT with 128MB DDR SDRAM;

-- 3 PCI-X slots (one 64-bit 133 MHz, two 64-bit 100 MHz); and

-- 8x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW).

All Power Mac G5 systems ship with iChat AV, Safari(TM), Sherlock(R),

Address Book, QuickTime(R), iLife(R) (includes iTunes(R), iPhoto(TM),

iMovie(R), iDVD(TM) and GarageBand(TM)), iSync, iCal(R), DVD Player, Classic

environment, Art Directors Toolkit X, EarthLink Total Access 2004,

GraphicConverter, Microsoft Internet Explorer, OmniGraffle, OmniOutliner,

QuickBooks for Mac New User Edition, Xcode and Zinio Reader.

Build-to-order options include up to 8GB of RAM, 250GB Serial ATA hard

drives, Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) drive, graphics cards (NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200

Ultra, ATI Radeon 9600 XT, ATI Radeon 9800 XT), AirPort Extreme Card,

Bluetooth module, Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple Wireless Mouse, PCI-X

Gigabit Ethernet Card, Apple Fibre Channel PCI Card and Mac OS X Server

version 10.3 "Panther."

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple

II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple

is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students,

educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its

innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.

NOTE: Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Mac, Mac OS, Power Mac, Final Cut

Pro, FireWire, AirPort, Apple Store, SuperDrive, Safari, Sherlock, QuickTime,

iLife, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand and iCal are either registered

trademarks or trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be

trademarks of their respective owners.
  • Reply 2 of 195
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Well, this leaves new-form iMacs and new Displays for WWDC plus the usual surprise!

P.S. So Apple missed the 3 GHZ mark "this summer" by .5 (well IBM did actually). So sue them!
  • Reply 3 of 195
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    What were the prices (US) before these revisions? Are they the same price, cheaper, or more expensive?

Les.
  • Reply 4 of 195
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    The refresh went just as I expected... since they didn't update in Feb/Mar you knew they weren't going to hit 3.0 by the summer. Liquid cooling for the top end machine is somewhat surprising, I'm wondering if there are some underlying heat issues there...

All in all though, a worthy upgrade - if not a surprising one.

C.
  • Reply 5 of 195
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    A very weak upgrade.

Hell, the videocard in my Dual 2 GHZ is better than the one in the "New" dual 2 GHZ.

Whats up with that?

Well, it is 500 bucks less now.

The dual 1.8 got downgraded with just PCI now.

Whats up with that?

Well, it is 500 bucks less now.

Cheaper prices but no new bang.

*Hugs "old" dual 2 GHZ G5*
  • Reply 6 of 195

The new Dial 1.8 has the 1.6 board...!

4 Gig RAM max and PCI!!

A shambles.
  • Reply 7 of 195
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Why the heck does Apple still sell the low-end model with only 256MB RAM??? This is simply ridiculous...
  • Reply 8 of 195
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Let's be honest a bit here.

@ $2000 the Dual 1.8Ghz isn't bad. PCI-X doesn't really mean anything unless you have a lot of bus contention. It's more for bragging. 4GB of RAM is pretty damn expensive again 8GB sound great but you know 98% of the people won't hit 8GB.

I just would have rather seen a 2.2Ghz model as the middle PM. And better graphic card choices. Apple is not going to want to keep these current configurations any longer than a month. Componentwise they are weaker than past updates(256MB RAM and 80GB HD on the low end...not too hot).
  • Reply 9 of 195
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Well it's good to see with the revisions that the price of a g5 in Australia is still really damn expensive.

The price for the new dual 2.5 in Australia is $AU5300. In the us it is $US2999. Taking in roughly todays conversion rate $5300 is equal to $$US3710. Now is anyone even going to try and tell me that we are being charged $US710 in shipping and Taxes?

Les.
  • Reply 10 of 195
    naderbynaderby Posts: 131member
    DO we know what version of the G5 chip it uses?
  • Reply 11 of 195
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by naderby

it's the 970fx.
  • Reply 12 of 195
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Interesting tidbit on the 9800XT:

Quote:

Special note on the ATI Radeon 9800 XT: due to size of this advanced graphics card, the adjacent PCI or PCI-X slot will be blocked and cannot be used. This reduces the number of available PCI or PCI-X slots from three to two.

• Reply 13 of 195
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    I just put in an order with my campus computer store for two 2.5GHz models. Should be a nice bump from dual-867 G4 Power Macs!
  • Reply 14 of 195
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:

Originally posted by naderby

According to the new G5 white paper on Apple's site, they are 90nm chips.

IMHO, this is the update that should have happened in the Spring. Liquid cooling is nifty, but otherwise an uninteresting upgrade.

Sorry, but I buy machines with an eye to how useful they will be in 2 yrs. IMHO, AGP is on the way out and PCI-Express will be entrenched in that time frame. Kudos to all of you who bought 2GHz PMacs when they were released; looks like you're still near the top of Apple's heap.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 15 of 195
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    I think this is the update that we were all expecting earlier this year.

Since I'm a student, a dual 1.8Ghz at $1799 (with the education discount) is fanstastic.

Like someone else said, you really don't need PCI-X. And honestly, how many people are going to put four 1GB sticks of RAM in their tower?

I am very glad to see the 9600 finally get 128MB of VRAM.
  • Reply 16 of 195
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Quote:

Originally posted by les t

Now is anyone even going to try and tell me that we are being charged $US710 in shipping and Taxes?

Les.

Yes, I sent my mum (who lives in australia) an ibook from the states, as a gift, she had to pay about A$ 200 to pick it up ! blame the howard government.

and dont even get me started on ten bucks for a pack of smokes !
  • Reply 17 of 195
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    We really should have expected this one, folks. As others have been saying, the fact that the Jan-Feb bump was missed should have been taken as a harbinger, even before Apple warned of chip constraints. The second significant revelation came in the billing of WWDC, which refers only to Tiger and to nothing extraordinary. Unfortunately, Apple even missed Think Secrets 2.6GHz mark (although, who's going to complain about .1GHz?). When I read AtAT's coverage of the latest rumors, I was at first surprised they indicated the bumps would be premiered prior to WWDC, but now it all makes sense. Apple couldn't reach 3GHz - or possibly it simply didn't want to in the span of one speed bump - so it had to release pre-show in order to not substantially disappoint us. I had a feeling PCI-X wouldn't be replaced by Express in one revision - Apple never changes the motherboard considerably after only one release.
  • Reply 18 of 195
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    This is probably the update that Apple had planned for Feb/Mar - before the 90 nm fab problems were encountered at IBM's plant. The first thing, therefore, is to judge it based on it being a February announcement and March delivery.

It's a major release, moves the G5 to the 90 nm process and will make a lot of users very happy. More to come, but today is a pretty good day for Apple. Hell, with the AE yesterday, the 90 nm G5 PM today and Lord knows what in the next 20 days this is a great month for Apple.

Enjoy!
  • Reply 19 of 195
    Quote:

Originally posted by les t

Well it's good to see with the revisions that the price of a g5 in Australia is still really damn expensive.

The price for the new dual 2.5 in Australia is $AU5300. In the us it is $US2999. Taking in roughly todays conversion rate $5300 is equal to $$US3710. Now is anyone even going to try and tell me that we are being charged $US710 in shipping and Taxes?

Les.

Can't really blame Apple for any taxes and/or tariffs that they get hit with when they're selling they're product outside of the US. I always get a kick out of Europeans who complain about Apple's high(er) prices over there and seem to expect Apple to sell their machines in such a way that the 17% VAT (in some places) would bring the price in line with US prices - so they expect Apple to eat the shipping and the tax.

As for the updates, I'm not too terribly impress and feel that this update is really only temporary, lasting only through September. It should have happened back a few months ago, but IBM's 90nm problems forced a postponement. I think I'll wait until the next update. Hopefully Apple's rumored abandonment of ADC will lead to better video card options.
  • Reply 20 of 195
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    No 3 gig anytime soon!!!

Maccentral is reporting Tom Boger, Apple's Director of Power Mac Product Marketing, mentioned because of challenges with the 90 nanometer manufacturing process. no 3 gig PM anytime soon.

I hope this is just flak being thrown to ward off the rumors.