Could this mean "Powermac Extreme" at WWDC?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Although the processors on the models have been upgraded, the Video has not. Could this mean that Apple is making space for a "PowerMac Extreme" with all the goodies at a higher price range?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I doubt PM Extreme is coming at WWDC but I think Apple will hit the 3Ghz "promise". If they're bold enough to announce at WWDC then great.
  • Reply 2 of 77
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Hmm, only two generations behind in video. Christ, they better announce something. Airport Express was a better surprise than this!
  • Reply 3 of 77
    Apple has already layed the groundwork for better video.

They dropped ADC and should they deliver another system this year with PCIex I think they'll use the current cards.
  • Reply 4 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Apple has already layed the groundwork for better video.

They dropped ADC and should they deliver another system this year with PCIex I think they'll use the current cards.

The current PM G5 still uses ADC. I don't see that they have dropped it. They do have a DVI connection, but they've always had that.
  • Reply 5 of 77
    And thus the dreams of Powermac G5 Extreme die.

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/...=1086765595000

No 3Ghz coming.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    What is wrong with you people?
  • Reply 7 of 77
    dvd_junkiedvd_junkie Posts: 113member
    Given the additional liquid cooling added to the new dual 2.5GHz PM, it would appear Apple is scrambling hard to move up the GHz scale. The requirement for such additional cooling must mean these are not different chips than the 2.0GHz but most likely cherry-picked from the same fab as the 1.8 and 2.0. Certainly it's not their fault as IBM has missed the time target not only for these PPC processors but also for other customers like nVidia. Looks like the G5 PB is a long long way from seeing any light.
  • Reply 8 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Huh? This is basically a speed bump to 2.5GHz with NOTHING ELSE NEW!!! In a year, this was all they could bump??? Same 2 generations old video cards, same everything pretty much, except an 8x burner. Woohoo!

• Reply 9 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by DVD_Junkie

The requirement for such additional cooling must mean these are not different chips than the 2.0GHz but most likely cherry-picked from the same fab as the 1.8 and 2.0.

Uh, no they are all 90nm now. Read the MacCentral article.
  • Reply 10 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Uh, no they are all 90nm now. Read the MacCentral article.

Actually, the article says:

"It's actually quite simple," said Boger. "When we made that prediction, we just didn't realize the challenges moving to 90 nanometer would present. It turned out to be a much bigger challenge than anyone expected."

Nothing here implies the current crop of duals are using 90nm chips but rather to the contrary. Had they been 90nm chips, the heat issue wouldn't have required the additional liquid cooling IMO. Could anyone confirm if any of these chips are using 90nm fabrication?

Tnx.
  • Reply 11 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by DVD_Junkie

Nothing here implies the current crop of duals are using 90nm chips but rather to the contrary. Had they been 90nm chips, the heat issue wouldn't have required the additional liquid cooling IMO. Could anyone confirm if any of these chips are using 90nm fabrication?

Read the article wrong...my bad - only the 2.5GHz model uses the 90nm fabbed CPUs. Sorry. That would explain the July ship date.
  • Reply 12 of 77
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    the new all dualy line up leaves a big hole for my prediction, a low end, sub 1500$ G5 HEADLESS desktop at WWDC let us HOPE.....
  • Reply 13 of 77
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

the new all dualy line up leaves a big hole for my prediction, a low end, sub 1500$ G5 HEADLESS desktop at WWDC let us HOPE.....

Buy the refurb 1.6, it's only $1399. May even be less now.

I've given up hope on the G5 iMac too. If the iMac is refreshed at all, it'll have a 1.5GHz G4. Model changes take a long time because everything is outsourced.

Maybe we'll see a G5 eMac... that's more likely than any return of the cube. But you can hope if you wish - after all, some folks still hope for a new Newton and an updated HyperCard.
  • Reply 14 of 77
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

You have to ask? There's a name for it...
  • Reply 15 of 77
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    I would expect a quite quick upgrade to Radeon X600 and X800 chips, so I wouldn't buy until then If I needed ultra graphics performance. I also think that the 9800XT should at least be the default config across the board.
  • Reply 16 of 77
    Marc,

In general I feel like Apple is ahead with the integration of ergonomics, technology and design but sometimes I just can't understand or rationalize what Apple was thinking when they do things like announcing today's dual 2.5 PM and with no X600 or X800 calibre gpu's! Apple's products carry a premium for many reasons but shouldn't they at the very least give you components which are upto date? Offering the 9600XT is like 8 months behind the Wintel world. I've been trying to hold off picking up a new dual but I figure I'll wait till I get a better bang for my buck.
  • Reply 17 of 77
    I did notice that ATI announced a special Radeon 9800 Pro Mac edition with 256Mb, but nothing newer....
  • Reply 18 of 77
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

I would expect a quite quick upgrade to Radeon X600 and X800 chips, so I wouldn't buy until then If I needed ultra graphics performance. I also think that the 9800XT should at least be the default config across the board.

Nah. Some (most?) people don't need 3D. I'd rather see that cash go towards more memory (512MB, 512MB, 1GB respectively) and lower prices.

That is not to say that Apple shouldn't get the X?00 cards available as BTO ASAP.
  • Reply 19 of 77
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    I think we knew this wa the update coming... we hoped for more, but this is it. There won't be new models for at least another 4-6 months so it's time to buy.

I'm buying my dual G5 today to replace my dual G4 800.
  • Reply 20 of 77
    as much as i would want this to happen i highly doubt that apple will make such a thing. and even if they do wahts the price? $4000 U.S.! and to add that extra ram 4500!