OS 9 Machine Internet Connection Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a small network consisting of a G5, a peecee, and an old Mac 6500 running OS 9.1. They are all connected to a Linksys router that is connected to a DSL modem. The G5 and peecee can connect without any problems.

A couple weeks ago the 9.1 machine stopped connecting to the Net. I can ping the machine from the others and I can ping the other two machines from the 9.1 machine. But any attempt to reach outside the local net fails.

Neither a static IP or DHCP connection work. DHCP returns a garbage IP address. Haven't been able to find anything on the Net to help. Anyone know of any issues with OS 9 machines and routers/DSL modems?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Your 9.1 machine does have its TCP/IP connected via Built-in ethernet (from control panel).

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    The 6500 has an Ethernet card in it with the latest driver. It used to work a couple of weeks ago until something happened. A fresh OS 9 install didn't fix the problem. Other than making sure the cables are connected and the TCP settings are correct, I can't think of anything else that could be wrong.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

The 6500 has an Ethernet card in it with the latest driver. It used to work a couple of weeks ago until something happened. A fresh OS 9 install didn't fix the problem. Other than making sure the cables are connected and the TCP settings are correct, I can't think of anything else that could be wrong.

I remember having problems with self-assigned DHCP IP address under MacOS. What a pain. I never found a solution that worked reliably every time.

Try moving the TCP/IP preference out of the Preferences folder and restarting the machine.

Then, go in and set your TCP/IP preferences.

When you reinstalled the OS did you clean install?

If the TCP/IP prefs trick fails, you could try a clean system install.

Also, I don't see how your machine could be pingable if it has a bad IP address assigned...

Also, have you verified that you cables are good? Try swapping from another machine.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I wasn't clear enough in my posts. I get garbage a garbage IP when I try to use DHCP and I didn't bother to try to ping the machine. When I use a static, unassigned IP I can ping the machine and ping the other local machines from the 6500. I can also ftp from the other local machines and access the router's html config screen from the 6500.

I've switched cables with the working machines and had the same result. It is a fresh install of OS 9 with the 9.1 upgrade installed afterwards. But nothing outside the router is able to able to be reached. Any connection beyond the router will just error out after a minute or so.

I was hoping there was some well known problem with OS 9 and routers and/or DSL modems. I will probably have to just pick up the cheapest machine that runs OS X to replace it since all it needs to do is run Eudora and a browser.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dr deepdr deep Posts: 63member
    Apart from the for-mentioned switching of cables { and ports Have you tried switching off your modem then your router, wait... start your modem wait till it has got it's status back then switch on your router.

Works for me every time i get a problem net related problem that i cant explain.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I was hoping there was some well known problem with OS 9 and routers and/or DSL modems. I will probably have to just pick up the cheapest machine that runs OS X to replace it since all it needs to do is run Eudora and a browser.

Well some people have successfully installed 10.1 on 6500.

http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/

Check out this thread from the XpostFacto support forums:

http://anybox.owc.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=352