Should have kept the low end Tower at 1.6GHz?

resres
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Maybe they should have made the low end tower a dual 1.6GHz G5 -- that way all the whiners would stop calling it a "downgrade."

Listen folks, the low end tower went from a single 1.6GHz G5 with 3 PCI slots and a Max of 4GB of Ram, to a dual 1.8GHz 3 PCI slots and a Max of 4GB of Ram. That is a big upgrade. It is not a "downgrade of the Middle tower (which is based on a different motherboard and was also upgraded). Calling the new low end tower a "downgrade" is just silly.

(oops, the subject was supposed to say: Should Apple have kept the low end tower at 1.6GHz -- In my zeal I left the Apple out. If a moderator would kindly correct that glaring error of omission, it will be greatly appreciated.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    one year....raise the price...add a 2nd processor and 200 Mhz

that really isnt an upgrade
  • Reply 2 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    No

The g5 is a capable processor but as a single CPU it's not as competitive as it should be.

It's a definite upgrade to have dual 1.8Ghz cpus now. Apple has doubled the processing power of the previous low end unit. Apple has increased the megahertz.

Any opinions to the contrary will likely be laden with hyperbole and semantics.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

one year....raise the price...add a 2nd processor and 200 Mhz

that really isnt an upgrade

Apple has NEVER had huge upgrades for the low end powermac. ESPECIALLY in the graphics card department. I was actually quite surprised Apple was this generous - I though they'd never put a dual in the base model.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Apple has NEVER had huge upgrades for the low end powermac. ESPECIALLY in the graphics card department. I was actually quite surprised Apple was this generous - I though they'd never put a dual in the base model.

um...what?

they did this exact same thing the last time they hit a processor roadblock. they make a big deal of going all dual and then as soon as IBM or Mot get back on track they drop the all dual lineup and make the lowend even worse.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Friend of mine just got a 1.6ghz tower...it's his first mac.