Dead Pixels

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've seen the complaints about dead pixels on PowerBooks but I haven't heard any complaints of dead pixels on desktop LCDs. Has anybody experienced dead pixels on desktop LCDs??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    Yup, they exist, just as on laptops. I have a Princeton 18.1" LCD and it has a dead pixel on it. Can't see it 99.999% of the time tho.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Of course it's os desktop LCDs too. Why would it only happen to Portable LCDs?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Desktop LCD's are less susceptible to them, as they are generally encased in thicker packages, and thus get less direct shocks -- hell, you move a desktop LCD maximum of 10 times during its life probably, you move a laptop daily...

that's my idea on it...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I have to date never seen a desktop LCD with a dead pixel. Then again, i've only seen a doze nor so.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Of course it's os desktop LCDs too. Why would it only happen to Portable LCDs?</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's what I was trying to find out. I've only heard people complaining about portable LCDs, never about desktops.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Yay!! My first post on AI!

I have a 15" Studio Display and not a dead pixel on it...

Way better quality than my iBook display... brightness, sharpness, etc...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    They are right, Desktop LCD are banged around less, therefore causing fewer dead pixels. but so you know, a dead pixel usually isn't dead. If you ever encounter one just massage that point on the screen by applying light pressure, it tends to pick right back up again like new. And yes, I have had a "dead" pixel or two on my ViewSonic 15" LCD
  • Reply 8 of 9
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>Desktop LCD's are less susceptible to them, as they are generally encased in thicker packages, and thus get less direct shocks -- hell, you move a desktop LCD maximum of 10 times during its life probably, you move a laptop daily...

that's my idea on it...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I thought dead pixels were a result of manufacturing process not "banging around".
  • Reply 9 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

I thought dead pixels were a result of manufacturing process not "banging around".</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, that's why I was wondering why people thought dead pixels were only with protable LCDs.