Exposé and Animated Backgrounds crash Quartz?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
On my PowerBook G4 12" 1 GHz, whenever I have animated backgrounds turned on and am using Exposé, Quartz Extreme or the Mac OS X graphics layer seems unstable.

As a test, I would have my desktop picture change every 5 seconds, and during the transition to the next picture, I would activate Exposé in slowed-down mode. If I have enough windows on-screen, the graphics layer would crash, and I wouldn't be able to use my computer, despite all my other apps still running in the background. I can still move the mouse and I can see all my apps on-screen still running, but nothing responds to mouse clicks.

Does this happen to you guys?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I also have that happen to me as well (12" 1 ghz powerbook AS WELL!) When I set the BG to change every 5 seconds and use expose as I usually do, expose will eventually stop working. and if I close all the windows I can see the background is half changed, stuck between two images (half of the image [left side] one image and the other side [right side] another])

I can still click but expose stops working, making everything hard to use.

can anyone say, bug?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

and if I close all the windows I can see the background is half changed, stuck between two images (half of the image [left side] one image and the other side [right side] another])

I can still click but expose stops working, making everything hard to use.

can anyone say, bug?

Yup, same thing happens to me.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Sounds like VRAM overload...

each window texture of width x and height y at bitdepth c = xyc VRAM

multiple windows, (including a transitioning background which may preload another texture and generate interim frames for fade or zoom effect), could easily account for more VRAM than your PB has available.

Exposé in slow motion mode is an even greater performance hit.

My guess is that the VRAM buffers can't refresh fast enough to smoothly display everything.

This might be partially fixable with new software/drivers, but if it's a bus limitation or latency issue, it might require a new GPU or card to truly solve.

Of course, it might also be addressed by adjusting expectations and behaviour.

Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this. <bends arm back>

Doctor: Then don't do that.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this. <bends arm back>

Doctor: Then don't do that.

that's right

Patient: i hurt everywhere *touches hair* even my hair hurts!

Doctor: looks like you have a broken finger.

• Reply 5 of 5
    fulmerfulmer Posts: 171member
    I had the same problem a while ago...

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=38346

Since then, I just gave up on Expose... I haven't used it very often