Faithless

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
NME gives the new Faithless record two out of five stars. Q hasn't even reviewed it, but panned the last one.

Why does Faithless get so little respect? Because they sell too many records? Because the lyrics are too pretentious (give me a break)?

I think it's a hell of a band. I own all of their records including the remixes. And I heard the first track on the new record (Mass Destruction) and I think it's great. I'm buying the CD tomorrow based on that track alone.

I think the people who don't like them don't like not being able to categorize them. The NME reviewer seems to be looking for a rap record. Others seem to think that it doesn't fit the Chemical Brothers' mould of dance.

But take Faithless as what they are. A great band that loves being on my iPod. And who cares if they sell a lot of records to the ignorant masses? So do Mike Skinner and Franz Ferdinand.

The latest Q names Oasis's "Definitely Maybe" as the best British record of all time. GMAFB. I could easily name a hundred British bands with more character than Oasis off the top of my head. Faithless is one of them.

Leave it to the Brits to favor whitebread genericism. Whatever.

Question of taste, I guess.

If you hate Faithless, let me know why. If you like them, explain. If you don't care, then sorry for bothering you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Why does Faithless get so little respect? Because they sell too many records? Because the lyrics are too pretentious (give me a break)?

I think it's a hell of a band]

Always looking for great music (with too many disappointments), so I checked out Faithless and listened to a bunch of clips.

Lyrics: excellent

Music: generic, bland: yawn
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    You can listen to Faithless on iTMS. They're OK I guess, but their various styles remind me of other bands that do it much better. They remind me a bit of a watered-down Massive Attack, Tricky, Tosca or even Everything But The Girl.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Never heard Faithless, but Definitely Maybe is definitely in my opinion the best British rock record of its era.